Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Congressional/congressional? This is why I hate the CMS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:25 pm 

I throw myself on whatever mercy is available. I've looked through the CMS, and I must be losing my mind because I can't find the answer and it seems straightforward enough.

Is "congressional" initial capped when it is used as an adjective but not part of an official title?

Thus:

The publication Congressional Record.
The congressional hearing or the Congressional hearing?

I'm sure there must be a rule for this, but I've been through the CMS index for about 20 minutes now, and I know when I'm beaten.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Congressional/congressional? This is why I hate the CMS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:51 pm 

Don't have the very latest edition, but the rule used to be that you cap the name of the legislative body "when specifically applied," so not. [Congress, Senate, House of Representatives; no but offered, but it would seem to exclude congressional, senatorial, representative.] This seems to fall instead under that other less-than-scintillating rule, for "mode of action" [such as republican form of government], not capped. Google offers up congressional hearings in 17.307 in the 15th edition, but I don't have access to the online edition.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Congressional/congressional? This is why I hate the CMS
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 pm 

Thanks. I'd reasoned pretty much the same way, but I kept thinking that because I couldn't just find some simple entry in the book that I must have been underthinking the whole thing. $70 for the 16th edition of CMoS and the index is still terrible.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]