Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: This and that
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:00 am 

The Google turned up this one on the Seattle Times site. True to his word, Kilpatrick no longer brags about his copy-editing expertise. Those who remember when AP was at Rock Center and you could walk in and buy a stylebook will also remember how much the book used to cost; this is the 1993 price.

The Writer's Art
Copy Editor's Creed: `God Is In The Details'

Quote:
By James J. Kilpatrick

Universal Press Syndicate

Talk about being humbled! Talk about being chastened! Tonight I am dining on breast of crow with a sauce of chagrin. It comes from getting a lesson from a pro.

The lesson is in the fine art of copy editing, a field in which I had claimed a modest expertise. No more. I'll never brag again.
Most of Mr. Lombardi's emendations were wholly stylistic, and on these matters reasonably minded editors will always disagree. Most newspapers follow The Associated Press Stylebook. It may be ordered from the AP Newsfeatures Department, 50 Rockefeller Plaza, New York, N.Y. 10020, for $9.75. Magazines have different rules. The New Yorker, for example, spells out just about everything. Book publishers rely upon the Chicago Manual of Style, published by the University of Chicago Press.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: This and that
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm 

I admit that had any one asked, I would have said that Kilpatrick was dead. That's not very nice, but it's the truth.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: This and that
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:38 pm 

Okay, fewer bad jokes and more SEO from now on.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]