Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Today's crankiness
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:19 am 

Someone in the Boston area, and where the hell's the paper?

Is It Time to End the Charade of Newspaper Home Delivery? [Huffington Post]
Quote:
That's when I got cranky. Back in the day, I told her, the newspaper for which I worked, the San Jose Mercury News, produced and delivered a newspaper the very day after the Loma Prieta earthquake rocked the Bay Area. We served our readers. And the fact that we were able to probably had a lot to do with the staff winning a Pulitzer Prize. Surely the esteemed New York Times could manage delivery, too?

Of course, it wasn't Tonyae's fault. She did her job well. But her bosses didn't. I suspect they believe that in the digital age they don't really have to deliver a print edition in the midst of an emergency. Maybe they need a reminder of the first four letters -- N-E-W-S -- in newspaper.

Maybe it's just not worth paying the $75 a month or so I shell out for the Times and Globe combined. It's bad enough to have to shower delivery people you've never meet with tips in the hope that the paper will arrive someplace near your front door. It's worse when the paper doesn't come and no one seems to care. Except, perhaps, Tonyae.

Twenty minutes afer hanging up the phone with her, someone turned into our driveway and delivered not only my Sunday Times and Globe but my Saturday editions as well.

Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe, too, it actually snowed 31 FEET in Spencer as the
red letters on page A16 of The Globe informed readers. But I doubt it.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]