Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: And the award for the stupidest lede goes to ...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:38 am 

Alessandra Stanley of the New York Times!

Attachments:
stupidlede.PNG
stupidlede.PNG [ 16.47 KiB | Viewed 192 times ]
 Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: And the award for the stupidest lede goes to ...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:42 am 

And then there's this, in the Anachronism category:
Quote:
By Jessica Guynn

MENLO PARK, Calif. -- Anticipation has been making Silicon Valley wait just like a Carly Simon song in a 1970s Heinz ketchup commercial.

LAT

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:57 pm 

Honorable mention:

Quote:
She lost a womb but gained a penis.

The former was being removed surgically — full hysterectomy — while the latter was forcibly shoved into her slack mouth.
[Toronto Star]

Which, after many an "Eww!" from the readers, drew this from the ombud:

Quote:
Note: The following was sent out Jan. 21 to Toronto Star readers who expressed concerns about Rosie DiManno’s Jan. 18 column about the trial of Dr. George Doodnaught, an anesthesiologist charged with sexually assaulting 20 women while they were helpless in the North York General Hospital operating theatre, and one at an outside clinic.

Thank you for expressing your view of Rosie DiManno’s Jan. 18 column.

While I understand why you find the opening sentence of the column to be insensitive and demeaning to the woman who testified, I have corresponded with DiManno and I am assured there was no intention here to demean the woman or her testimony or make light of the circumstances. Rather, after sitting through all of the sordid, ugly evidence presented in court, she deliberately sought to reflect the grotesque nature of the alleged crime.

Rosie DiManno is one of the Star’s best and most prolific writers. DiManno covers many trials with difficult graphic evidence. While I personally concur with those readers critical of this column’s opening sentence, I think DiManno’s writing overall shows sensitivity and empathy for victims of horrific crimes. As managing editor Jane Davenport told me: “She is more likely than many columnists to walk close to the line in terms of detailing the nature of the crimes, but I think walking this line — balancing their dignity against the imperative ‘not to look away’ — is something she most often does with skill and care.”

The Star’s policy and journalistic standards manual states that “Columnists and Op-Ed writers have wide latitude to express their own views in the Star, including views directly contrary to the Star’s editorial views, as long as they fall within the boundaries of good taste and the laws of libel.”

“Taste” is always a subjective matter and questions of taste in columns and other content are often flagged to the managing editor by columnists themselves or other editors. That did not happen in this case. Had that occurred, I expect the managing editor would have urged DiManno to revise the opening to the column, which otherwise accurately reflects the direct testimony of the victim.

Kathy English

Public Editor

Toronto Star

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm 

Quote:
“Taste” is always a subjective matter ....

This went far beyond "taste." Was a copy editor involved? Are we sure editor Michael Cooke didn't see this before it ran? What's it like to be the ombudsman for a paper edited by Michael Cooke?

Sorry. I get carried away sometimes.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]