Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: If you go bad, go big
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 am 

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 105.65 KiB | Viewed 216 times ]
[MSN]

Bonus: The charming conceit that somehow this will lead to the hiring of copy editors, along the same line of reasoning that higher crime rates should lead to the hiring of police officers. Also: When will MSN hire someone to fix the ungrammatical "their"?

Update: What went wrong, the official version, via Jim Romenesko. The standard for errors is apparently "few, if any," so I'd say the standard had been met.

Quote:
So, when I sat down to craft this blog, I kept running over the reasons in my mind (which I'll share in a moment) of how or why a mistake like this can and does happen. But everything just sounded like an excuse. And the truth is: There is no excuse.

Let me repeat that: There is no excuse.

This was an obvious and unfortunate mistake and there's no really good reason for it, apart from human error and rushing.

So, to answer Mr. Romenesko's question, here's how something like this happens:

-- The newsroom this week is moderately understaffed due to sickness, vacations and the holidays.

-- Due to the upcoming storm, we shifted the regular nightly deadline up two hours on Wednesday night (to ensure we'd be able to deliver the paper in the snow and keep our carriers safe). As an aside to this, I neglected to contact the night crew: I was doing extra work on the day shift and thought we'd still have more than enough time to complete the paper. In hindsight, I wish I hadn't done that.

-- After talking to the night editor about the error, I learned we had a few computer-related issues during the night shift, forcing the night crew to re-boot our production equipment a few times. In and of itself, this is a normal occurrence. However, in this case, it pushed her up against the night deadline, and a last minute re-write of what that original headline was (and I'm paraphrasing: from the more boring "area makes final prep for winter storm") to something more creative/interesting ("let it snow, let it snow, let it snow") ... well, it was a rush job and human error crept onto the page at the last moment when there was no more time for a final view of the page.

Again, none of this is an excuse. There is no excuse. But, I take a little comfort in the above-linked Romenesko post that shows human error is not Reformer-specific. When people are tasked with several stories or pages a day six days a week, usually rushing to get the work done, it's clear mistakes will be made. The challenge is making sure few, if any, make it on the air, in print, or online.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]