Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: This and that
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:27 pm 

Paranoiacs everywhere have a new app. In other news, there's one more clueless person [the Times public editor][*] who thinks the Times is a paper of record. In other other news, publishing the news, and then publishing updates or corrections, isn't "transparency," whatever that means.

Quote:
THE NEW YORK TIMES is the closest thing we have in this country to a “newspaper of record.” A year ago I suggested that the paper should do a better job, therefore, of maintaining a record of the articles it publishes. Because of the swift changes wrought by the Internet, I observed, Times articles drift out into digital space in multiple versions. Some articles disappear altogether.

At the time, the newsroom’s management told me that establishing a stronger historical record by tracking changes in articles and keeping them in a comprehensive archive was not a priority. So much for the newspaper of record, I thought.

A year later, someone else has seized the initiative from The Times.

A Web site called NewsDiffs automatically “scrapes” the front page of NYTimes.com and then publishes a log of articles that appeared in multiple versions. A reader can compare the versions side by side to see changes in text and headline, complete with the markings showing the edits that have been made.

It’s as if The Times is being turned inside out, its inner workings exposed for all to see — a kind of forced transparency.

[*] Who wants you to know, by the way, that those "CNN reports Anderson Cooper is straight" tweets bouncing around the Internet are not from the public editor.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]