Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ugly Americans? Hmph.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 am 

It was alleged here that Americans are ignorant about the nations of the Commonwealth.

But I beg to differ! This piece from AP Top Stories is just the latest of many that keep us abreast of your fascinating cultures.

The AP wrote:
Australians try to find ugliest sheep

SYDNEY, Australia - Australian researchers have launched a search for the country's ugliest sheep — no matter how wrinkled, lumpy, bald or just plain funny looking — to try to identify genes that produce high quality wool.

"When something goes really wrong with the genes, it is the most powerful indicator about where to look to identify the genes that can — paradoxically — make things go really right," said Paul Hynd, a researcher from the University of Adelaide, which launched the study with the South Australian Research and Development Institute this week.

Australia's merino wool industry is worth about 2.8 billion Australian dollars (US$2.1 billion) each year. Scientists hope to use the study to produce higher quality wool to compete with increasingly popular synthetic fibers.

Post subject: Re: Ugly Americans? Hmph.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:19 am 

Once again, I stand corrected.

Australia is just above Great Falls on my list of intriguing foreign lands that I must visit. I hope to enlist Mr. Wiggins as my interpreter and auto adviser.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:31 pm 

Yes, sir, yes, sir, please come. We have many fine sheep here to show you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:38 pm 

BTW, I work in a gentler branch of the noble editing profession, one which doesn't involve AP. I've tried searching here for an explanation about why the dateline is Sydney, not Adelaide, but perhaps I'm not looking under the right keywords. Is this because the AP office is in Sydney?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:52 pm 

Presumably. I don't know how it works Away Below, but Up Here the dateline is dictated by where the reporter was working, not where the relevant events took place.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]