Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Molten Lava
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:41 am 

The Independent (UK), online:

Thousands flee as molten lava begins to flow from Java volcano
By Kathy Marks, Asia-Pacific Correspondent

As opposed to the other kind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:35 am 

Thank you kindly. That reminded me to tidy up a reference to hot lava.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:21 am 

Um... the phrase "molten lava" is not redundant. Lava refers to the substance both when it's flowing and after it's cooled and hardened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am 

lfelaco wrote:
Um... the phrase "molten lava" is not redundant. Lava refers to the substance both when it's flowing and after it's cooled and hardened.

Yes, but if it is flowing, then obviously it's molten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am 

lfelaco wrote:
Um... the phrase "molten lava" is not redundant.

It is when the lava is described as flowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:12 am 

Without getting into all the geophysics of it, there are lavas that continue to flow even when they're no longer molten, and the term "lava flow" actually refers to the hardened formation (as opposed to an "active lava flow"). So I still say it's not redundant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:04 am 

A valid point, as I should have known. Was still worth a change on mine because the pic told the story.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:55 am 

lfelaco wrote:
Without getting into all the geophysics of it, there are lavas that continue to flow even when they're no longer molten, and the term "lava flow" actually refers to the hardened formation (as opposed to an "active lava flow"). So I still say it's not redundant.

Does this mean you would flee from hardened lava? Glass continues to flow after it cools. It's flowing in my office window as I type. And yet, I feel no need to flee.

In the case of the headline I cited, the molten is superfluous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:54 am 

I would flee from lava, regardless of temperature, because I wouldn't want it getting on me and ruining my clothes. But I was speaking more about the phrase "molten lava" in general and not the headline cited, which probably is redundant, esp. if accompanied by a photo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:02 pm 

Nessie3 wrote:
Glass continues to flow after it cools. It's flowing in my office window as I type. And yet, I feel no need to flee.

Myth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:04 pm 

Docsdoctor wrote:
Nessie3 wrote:
Glass continues to flow after it cools. It's flowing in my office window as I type. And yet, I feel no need to flee.

Myth.

Thanks. You're right. Glass may or may not be a liquid, depending on semantics, but it doesn't flow.

Is glass liquid or solid?

There is no clear answer to the question "Is glass solid or liquid?". In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that it is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter which is neither liquid nor solid. The difference is semantic. In terms of its material properties we can do little better. There is no clear definition of the distinction between solids and highly viscous liquids. All such phases or states of matter are idealisations of real material properties. Nevertheless, from a more common sense point of view, glass should be considered a solid since it is rigid according to every day experience. The use of the term "supercooled liquid" to describe glass still persists, but is considered by many to be an unfortunate misnomer that should be avoided. In any case, claims that glass panes in old windows have deformed due to glass flow have never been substantiated. Examples of Roman glassware and calculations based on measurements of glass visco-properties indicate that these claims cannot be true. The observed features are more easily explained as a result of the imperfect methods used to make glass window panes before the float glass process was invented.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]