Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Minicar
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:29 am 

I see "minicar" sometimes defined as a subcompact and other times as smaller than a subcompact. This and its relative paucity of Google hits (169,000) makes me wonder whether the term is standard English or an Asianism or mainland Europeanism that's knocking at the door.

Any thoughts from the automotively minded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:39 am 

I've never used the expression. The first published reference I can find is Feb 2004 with next to nix references after that. Sounds like corprate speak to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:30 am 

Thanks, Paul.

I find a reference in the 2000 edition of the American Heritage Dictionary, and "supermini" dates from the 1980's, but I haven't found a reliable comparison of k-car, minicar, subcompact, compact and microcar. Japan includes engine displacement in the criteria and the US seems to use only passenger volume.

Europe and the US also differ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:58 am 

The K-car was a line of small Chrysler products - Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, etc. Is there another meaning?

Post subject: Re: Minicar
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:27 am 

Nessie3 wrote:
I see "minicar" sometimes defined as a subcompact and other times as smaller than a subcompact. ...makes me wonder whether the term is standard English.

It's a generalist construction that says a little to everybody but nothing specific to anybody. A casual reader would take the meaning of "very small" or "smaller than most others" but the term lacks solid definition.

If you have the time, you should attempt to find the correct class or category that the car in question fits.

National governments and their dept's of transportation establish defined classes of vehicles for their own purposes such as taxation, emission requirements, etc.

The terms they use are their own choice. In the U.S, you'll find compact, sub-compact, full size, mid size, etc. Other countries use class 1, class 2, and so on. India uses A1, A2... and supports the classes with words as well: A4 is Executive class, A6 is Luxury.

There are no international standards, either. A U.S. sub compact might be classed as something larger in another country.

The whole issue is further clouded by how the classifications are determined. Some use only engine size (600-1000cc), others use weight only (1000-1500kg), still others use dimesions only (India: A3 = 4001-4500mm overall length) and many use some combination of these. (Engine smaller than X cc and under Y kg.)

I know Japan has a very strict and well defined classification system, but my reference materials seem to have vanished.

Car Copy, if you're still out there, can you shed any additional light on this?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
JT

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:26 am 

Docsdoctor wrote:
The K-car was a line of small Chrysler products - Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, etc. Is there another meaning?

Same meaning, but the K-car predates Chrysler. It's from keijidosha, Japanese for "light (kei) automobile (jidosha)." I think front-wheel drive is another K-car criterion.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]