Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Bataan Death March
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:28 pm 

A well-fed, well-shod Japanese women walks the route of the Bataan Death March to prove that the Japanese military does not bear full responsibility for the deaths, in this controversial article. She also indicts Australians for what is presented as a post-war Allied-sponsored death march.

Quote:
A Woman Retraced the Entire Route of the Bataan Death March Alone
By Yukie Sasa

Published in the December issue of Bungei Shunju

Walking by myself is the only way to find out. Of course, if I walk the Bataan Peninsula alone, the scenery must be very different now. Besides, depending on the point of surrender and the physical conditions they were in at that time, the hardship each POW experienced during the march must have been different. The number of the stories of the Bataan Death March must be as numerous as the number of the POWs, and it would be impossible to verify them all. However, the real experience of a thirty-year-old woman who is not athletic must offer an example. There is a saying, ‘Write an article after being on the spot where the event actually took place.’..

There were things I found out by walking the Death March route. The first was that “a human being would not die just by walking this distance.” I did not train for this march and was even suffering from malnutrition, yet I was able to finish safely. My muscle and joints hurt and I had three blisters on my toes. But my feet kept moving. This also showed that the plan to remove soldiers was not so unrealistic in of itself. I found out that the shortest route to the destination was chosen, and it cannot be condemned as a systematic atrocity...

Japanese soldiers did not have enough food and water for themselves. If POWs went through a “Death March,” Japanese soldiers also went through a “Death March.” The biggest problem was not a lack of water or malnutrition, but the fact that POWs were suffering from diseases such as malaria. A sever case of malaria often leads to a death. If POWs were dying during the Death March, it was not due to the march. It showed that the medical care by the US-Filipino Forces by then was not adequate because, although depending on each type, the incubation period for Malaria is usually two weeks. This fact does not justify the Death March, of course, but at least it is not correct to say as if the Japanese military bore all responsibility.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]