Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Miyagi Earthquake
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:04 am 

Two mistakes in this breaking story:

NY Times via AP:
The quake hit around 11:46 a.m. and was centered 12 below the ocean floor about 50 miles off the coast of Miyagi in northeastern Japan, the Meteorological Agency said....A Dec. 26 earthquake with a magnitude estimated at 9.1 to 9.3 and the subsequent tsunami killed more than 131,000 people in Indonesia and left half a million homeless.

In the first place, the unit is missing; in the second, the year is missing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:18 am 

Did that earthquake affect a larger area than the "usual" ones? It seemed to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:04 am 

Michael wrote:
Did that earthquake affect a larger area than the "usual" ones? It seemed to.

It was felt in Northern Japan (Sapporo), where I live, and in Tokyo, but that's not too unusual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:17 pm 

I don't have a problem with leaving out the year in this instance. It flags to me that it was last December.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:21 am 
What’s it like to be in an earthquake for the first time in Japan?

Well, the Newcastle Falcons rugby team, touring Japan from the UK, was “shaken but not stirred”, after being caught in the earthquake on Tuesday. The team was staying in a 33-story Tokyo hotel, and the entire squad was in the hotel at the time preparing for lunch, according to the team’s website.

Falcons director of rugby, Rob Andrew, said: “I was in the dining room in the basement level when it happened, and I can tell you it was a pretty scary moment.”

“The buildings here are designed to withstand these earthquakes, and in fairness there was not even the smallest bit of damage done to the hotel. But the walls were shaking for a few minutes, and for those of us who haven’t experienced anything like that before, we won’t forget it in a hurry.”

Falcons fitness and conditioning coach, Steve Black, added: “I was having a bath at the time, so it was actually quite a terrifying experience when all the waves started in the bathroom…”

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]