Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: There ain't enough ROM to hold my brain!
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:42 pm 

The Melbourne Herald Sun wrote:
DEATH could become a thing of the past in less than 50 years as computers learn to download the contents of a brain on to a supercomputer, according to a leading British futurologist.

Among other eyebrow-raising predictions by Ian Pearson, head of the futurology unit at British telecommunications giant BT, is the prospect of computer systems being able to feel emotions.

This could eventually involve such things as planes being programmed to be even more terrified of crashing than their passengers, meaning they would do whatever possible to stay airborne.

Is the Herald Sun considered a serious newspaper? I note that it bills itself as "Australia's biggest selling daily newspaper," but I think the National Enquirer makes an equivalent claim here in the States.

More to the point, what do they do with your brain once it's been downloaded into a computer? Do you get to spend eternity playing solitaire in your mind's eye until you get unplugged?

Post subject: Re: There ain't enough ROM to hold my brain!
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:57 pm 

The Melbourne Herald Sun wrote:
This could eventually involve such things as planes being programmed to be even more terrified of crashing than their passengers, meaning they would do whatever possible to stay airborne.

Or they could just scream and panic and pray like the rest of us...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Lighten Up
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:52 am 

Quote:

Including dumping the passengers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:38 am 

In answer to the question ''Is the Herald Sun considered a serious newspaper?'' Not as serious as The Age or the Sydney Morning Herald but certainly well read across all demographics. Like the Daily Telegraph in Sydney, It would be my first read of a day.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:08 pm 

Quote:
eyebrow-raising predictions

Hardly; these are all ideas that have been floating around the worlds of science fiction and futurology for decades.

One can already write code that causes a computer to emulate emotions. ["Parry" was around in the 70's.] Given the inability of many people to distinguish between real emotional response and the script of a soap opera, convincing the masses that a computer "felt" wouldn't be very difficult.

Personally, I'd rather my plane react in a coldly rational manner to crises. A Boeing 767 in hysterics is not my idea of a fun flight.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:05 am 

But would you read the Herald-Sun?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]