Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Offshore subbing
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:40 am 

An Asian English-language newspaper is looking into having its copy editing work outsourced to India. Surely the trend can't be long in reaching North America if it hasn't already.

Post subject: Re: Offshore subbing
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:15 pm 
wisekwai wrote:
An Asian English-language newspaper is looking into having its copy editing work outsourced to India. Surely the trend can't be long in reaching North America if it hasn't already.

I was wondering if there are many jobs like this, where an editor could work fulltime or part-time from anywhere in the world, and edit or copy edit stories for publications anywhere in the world. The physical place we live in does not matter so much anymore.

Post subject: Re: Offshore subbing
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:37 am 

danbloom wrote:
wisekwai wrote:

I was wondering if there are many jobs like this, where an editor could work fulltime or part-time from anywhere in the world, and edit or copy edit stories for publications anywhere in the world. The physical place we live in does not matter so much anymore.

This is more common with translators. In fact, some translation companies use translators in various parts of the world to meet deadlines by capitalizing on time differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:46 pm 

Their have been sections of Asian papers subbed from Sydney. I will make inquiries about whether that is still the case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:26 pm 
paulwiggins wrote:
Their have been sections of Asian papers subbed from Sydney. I will make inquiries about whether that is still the case.

Amazing. Yes, I could imagine a newspaper like the Daily Yomiuri in Tokyo, an English subsidiary of the Japanese-language mother ship The Yomiuri Shimbun, being subbed by editors living and working in London, Capetown, Sydney, Hamilton and Boston. Evertyhing could be shipped online to a team of copy editors around the world, telecommuting to work every day on designatd shifts.

The future is here.

Can I get a job?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:28 am 

The paper in question was the Singapore Straits Times. The Sydney bench apparently had a few Australians who had worked in Singapore. It was a win-win situation as I gather Singapore is best taken in short spells if you are from here.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]