Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which(ety)?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:28 pm 

I figured this is the place to ask ... We've got a story that mentions Australian cuisine and "wichety" grubs. Should that be "witchetty"? We don't have that word in American English dictionaries.

Post subject: Re: Which(ety)?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:38 pm 

Generally we take the first prefrence given in the Macquarie dictionary. Here's what they have to say:
witchetty grub noun any of various large, white, edible, wood-boring grubs that are the larvae of certain Australian moths and beetles. Also , witchety grub [Aborig. ; Adnyamathanha wityu hooked stick used to extract grubs + varti grub]
Spelling inconsitencies are quite frequent in words dervived from Maori and Australian indifgenous languages, because they were not written languages.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:44 pm 

Great. That's what I went with, and thanks for the etymology.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:16 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheWalrus:
We've got a story that mentions Australian cuisine and "wichety" grubs..<hr></blockquote>
We'd generally describe that as "bush tucker", not "Australian cuisine" unless, of course, your story is quoting those many Aussies who ride kangaroos to school/work and watch their heads in drop bear country.<p>[ December 03, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:39 am 

I think our food columnist is a drop bear.<p>***Their usual method of attack is to select journalists which stray from their group, including copy editors, dropping down onto them from above. They then proceed to wrap themselves around the body of their prey, squeezing them to death, often crushing the rib cage and breaking the neck. Occasionally when hunting, and when threatened, the Bears will drop down in front of, and then challenge their prey, snarling and flashing their sharp claws and teeth, before ripping their prey to shreds with their powerful arms and legs. Of all the ways to die in the newsroom, this would have to be the most horrible. Arms and Legs are torn from the body, along with huge slabs of flesh, which are greedily consumed while the editor still lives. If seen, Drop Bears should NOT be approached, as they are easily frightened and likely to attack. Reporters are known to have been attacked, and being one is no defence.*** (Fudging is mine.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:00 pm 

So are these grubs some kind of delicacy or what? Can't say I'm too tempted so far. Of course, many of my people think lutefisk is edible. <p>Are there recipes to share?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:37 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JJ:
Of course, many of my people think lutefisk is edible.
<hr></blockquote>Lutefisk explains why our people went a-viking in the olde days: twasn't in search of plunder, but of something decent to eat.<p>Grub recipe<p>D.<p>[ December 03, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:17 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DominEditrix:
Lutefisk explains why our people went a-viking in the olde days: twasn't in search of plunder, but of something decent to eat.
[ December 03, 2004: Message edited by: DominEditrix ]
<hr></blockquote><p>
I've got it! To reference another thread: Lutefisk martinis !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:01 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JJ:
I've got it! To reference another thread: Lutefisk martinis !<hr></blockquote>Lutefisk martinis? JJ, you are one sick Scandinavian...<p>D.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:48 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheWalrus:
I figured this is the place to ask ... We've got a story that mentions Australian cuisine and "wichety" grubs. Should that be "witchetty"? We don't have that word in American English dictionaries.<hr></blockquote><p>If you watched "Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat" (my favorite "turn the world off" show after I finally got tired of "Sesame Street"), you'd know all about these Outback delicacies.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]