Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: A babe in the Outback inquires
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:26 pm 

I read in several stories about the Australian election that voting in Australia is compulsory. Do people actually get prosecuted for not voting in Australia?<p>Also, does compulsory voting make opinion polls in Australia more reliable than they are in the United States?

Post subject: Re: A babe in the Outback inquires
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:25 pm 

Voting is compulsory in local governent and state elections for citizens over 18, as is enrolment. Offenders get fine notices in the mailThe most reliable opinion poll is the odds the bookies are offering on each party. The polls called the result closer than it turned out but this is because of the difficulty this time round of assesing how preferences explained here would vote. On the day many found it hard to vote for a relatively new Opposition leader.
I have no opinion about the wisdom of any of these matters unless I have had a quiet ale or two.<p>[ October 10, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:04 pm 

Just to clear this matter up. Voting in Australia is not compulsory. But turning up to have your name marked off on the electoral roll is. What you do with your ballot paper, which is handed to you after you have your name marked off, is up to you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:43 pm 

Quite right. But still a blip in the pursuit of life liberty and happiness. Ps My share portfo;io doth rocket because now the government has control in the senate media ownership laws have changed. Again I have no view as to whether or not this is a good or bad thing for the nation as a whole.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:54 pm 

I got to the polling place yesterday and found that my daughters and I are no longer on the roll (we were there just a few months ago; don't know what happened there). We weren't allowed to vote. One of the poll workers told me that "a lot" of people had the same problem at that polling place yesterday. I've lodged a complaint with the AEC and I have no intention of paying any fine.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:36 am 

Lee, a friend of mine had the same problem, but she said she was still allowed to vote after discussing it with someone there...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:32 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:
I got to the polling place yesterday and found that my daughters and I are no longer on the roll (we were there just a few months ago; don't know what happened there). We weren't allowed to vote. One of the poll workers told me that "a lot" of people had the same problem at that polling place yesterday. ... <hr></blockquote><p>Have Floridians taken over your system?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]