Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sub judice anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:52 am 

This from an AAP report posted on a paper's web site (complete with picture of the person arrested)names deleted for here<p>Disgraced former NSW detective XXXXXX was today arrested and charged in South Australia with an attempt to pervert the course of justice, sources said. <p>The Anti-Corruption Branch of the South Australian police are understood to have arrested and charged the former NSW police officer a short time ago. <p>Further details were expected from South Australian police later today. <p>xxxx is currently awaiting a sentence after pleading guilty in the NSW District Court [at] a Police Integrity Commission hearing on May 25, 1999. <p>His wife, XXXX, pleaded guilty to the same charge. <p>AAP<p>[ August 11, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sub judice anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:32 pm 

In credit to AAP, the SMH and the accused here is the story done later in the day<p>Rogerson charged but says show must go on
By Les Kennedy, Kate McClymont and AAP
August 12, 2004<p>Roger Rogerson will make several appearances in Adelaide this week: some on stage as a Wild Colonial Psycho and one in court as a man charged by anti-corruption police.<p>Rogerson, in South Australia for a week-long tour of clubs and hotels with former Aussie rules footballer Mark "Jacko" Jackson and underworld figure turned author Mark "Chopper" Read, was arrested as he left his hotel room at the Holiday Inn at midday yesterday.<p>The disgraced former NSW detective was taken to the police watch house and charged with "procure the abuse of a public officer". The charge, an annoyed Rogerson told the Herald last night, stemmed from an incident in 2002 when he had tried to help a friend, a process server, who was trying to serve a subpoena on a former prisoner.<p>Rogerson said he had given the process server the name of a South Australian police contact who could help. <p>That policeman had later been suspended and faced internal charges for providing the information. "If they had summonsed me I would have turned up, but it's the jackboots. They're giving Roger a tickle up," he said.<p>Before attending his sell-out gig at the Southern Districts Working Men's Club in Morphett Vale last night, Rogerson said his release on bail, pending his appearance in court tomorrow, would not affect the trio's tour with Wild Colonial Psycho, a theatre comedy show. <p>His lawyer, Paul Kenny, said: "Despite today's unfortunate occurrence, the show will go on." <p>His client added: "The show must go on, yes f---ing oath, I've got to keep working. I need the money." Rogerson has substantial legal bills relating to troubles closer to home. <p>In Sydney, he is facing a possible five-year jail sentence after recently pleading guilty in the NSW District Court to giving false evidence before a 1999 Police Integrity Commission hearing. He will be sentenced next month.<p>Rogerson's co-star, Jackson, said the Psycho shows were part of Australian folk history.<p>"You've got Roger from the white side, Chopper from the dark side and the grey area in the middle which is me ... <p>"It's no Kylie Minogue show, that's for sure, but people want to see it and hear their accounts of things."<p>*testy comments anybody? - to say I am unhappy would be an understatement*

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]