Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Headline writer's nightmare
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:37 pm 

This from Column 8 in this morning's Sydney Morning Herald:<p>Mario Galea, of Annangrove, wonders if the Fijian cricketer Bulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainavaolakebalao (Column 8, yesterday) ever played a game at Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu on his New Zealand tour?<p>For the curious, the place name hyphenates as follows Taumata-whaka-tangi-hanga-oau-auo-tamata-te-aturi-pukaka--pimaunga-horonuku-pokai-whenua-kitana tahu. Now you know.<p>[ July 13, 2004: Message edited by: Paul Wiggins ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Headline writer's nightmare
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:27 pm 

What's the name of the local paper?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:48 pm 

The Dannevirke (a name of scandanavian extraction) News.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:43 am 

And for the record, the longest place name in the United States of America is Lake Chargoggagogg­manchauggagogg­chaubunagungamaugg in Massachusetts.<p>I admit to using that word in a headline once, just because I could.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:28 pm 

Tee hee. The way out of the headline writer's problem in the NZ instance is that locals call the place name just Taumata.
As for the cricket player who toured in the 1960s, the SMH reports, ''Sensibly his 44-letter name was shortened to Bula when he toured New Zealand and smashed 245 runs in 173 minutes, belting 22 sixes.''

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:56 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
And for the record, the longest place name in the United States of America is Lake Chargoggagogg­manchauggagogg­chaubunagungamaugg in Massachusetts.<p>I admit to using that word in a headline once, just because I could.<hr></blockquote><p>You wouldn't happen to be able to post a clip of that? I'm not having trouble believing you; I'm having trouble imagining a headline that looks like that. And kudos for doing it, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:00 am 

There's probably a clip of it in my parents' attic down in Georgia. It fit because I had a six-column space for the headline and "Chargoggagoggmanchauggagogg­chaubunagungamaugg . . ." was the entire main hed. The deck was ". . . is a fun place to visit, but you wouldn't want to spell it."<p>Listen, I was NEW.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:48 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
Listen, I was NEW.<hr></blockquote>
We were all more fun when we were NEW.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]