Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: It's not Great and it's not United.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:21 am 

Am I the only person in Australia that is of the opinion that writing ''in the UK and Europe'' is silly?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: It's not Great and it's not United.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:04 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:
Am I the only person in Australia that is of the opinion that writing ''in the UK and Europe'' is silly?<hr></blockquote><p>No. I studied geography at school. However, some people probably did not. A Google search for the exact phrase came up with 251,000 links... including the BBC. At least the CIA knows what's where.<p>[ July 12, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:03 pm 

This Yank always figured that was English pretentiousness.<p>If children and the elderly can swim from England to France, and if the countries can connect by tunnel, then that puts them in the same continent.<p>[I reserve the right to disregard this logic regarding Alaska and Siberia.]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:15 pm 

It's very silly, Paul. The next time you see it, ask the reporter to make the case that the United Kingdom is not part of Europe. I'd be interested to hear it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:33 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Matthew Grieco:
It's very silly, Paul. The next time you see it, ask the reporter to make the case that the United Kingdom is not part of Europe. I'd be interested to hear it.<hr></blockquote>
Yes it's silly but they do it it consistently, along with calling it the United Kingdom instead of our preference for Britain. Apparently getting the region right is being pedantic. All I can say is that pedantry rocks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:50 am 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul Wiggins:

Yes it's silly but they do it it consistently, along with calling it the United Kingdom instead of our preference for Britain.
<hr></blockquote><p>But my understanding is that the United Kingdom and Britain are not the same thing, and that each can be correct in the proper context.<p>I've always understood that Britain comprises England, Scotland and Wales, and that the United Kingdom is those plus Northern Ireland. Is this wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:16 pm 

The British themselves use Britain as one of their ways to describe the political entity. That use predominates Australian and New Zealand English for reasons that are apolitical.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]