Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is there no honor?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:39 am 

From July, anyone found possessing or selling a sword without a permit will face up to six months' jail and fines of up to $12,000.<p>***And so begins the demise of Australia's samurai class.***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Is there no honor?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:44 am 

I haven't seen the sword one; we're all still aghast that public school funding might hinge on whether or not the flag is raised each day.
Some of my kitchen knives might qualify as swords, but, hey, good luck trying to get $12,000 out of me; I have offspring who still live at home ...<p>[ June 23, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]</p>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:17 pm 

You don't even want to go anywhere the concept of truth in sentencing laws that newspapers should bear in mind when printing waffle such as this. Of most interest is the minimum sentence viz: "Righto lad, on ya bike, go home to Mum and don't do it again."
Knives have been a larger problem than guns here and the law change reflects that.
Do I agree?
Frankly, no.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:23 pm 

<blockquote><font size="1" face="TImes, TimesNR, serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lee:
we're all still aghast that public school funding might hinge on whether or not the flag is raised each day.<p>
[ June 23, 2004: Message edited by: Lee ]
<hr></blockquote><p>When I was a kid, there was never a flag in school.
The picture of the Queen was in the least visible spot available.
The National Anthem of the time (God Save the Queen) was NEVER sung in school and we refused to stand for it in cinemas..
Did the government care?
No. It was none of their business.
And, oh yes, we had troops in Vietnam at the time and I served in the Air Force cadets outside school hours.
Here endeth rare lapse into polemic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:07 am 

In Australia, overt displays of patriotism should be reserved for international competitions, such as the Olympic Games, and military events. Anything else is un-Australian and, therefore, unpatriotic...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]