Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Piazza retires
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:52 pm 

Even in the steroids era, I think the numbers Mike Piazza put up should eventually merit his inclusion in the Hall of Fame. Could he throw out any runner? Nope. But there are lots of defensive stiffs in Cooperstown.
He hit the farthest home run I've ever seen at Coors Field. It was almost straight away center, over the bullpen and halfway up the wall to what would be the second deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:31 pm 

I agree, his offensive prowess more than made up for his weak defense. If nothing else, Piazza redefined "good-hitting catcher." He certainly changed the standard that Carlton Fisk had set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:04 pm 

I would also suggest that Piazza was not a bad defensive catcher. He just had a bad arm.
He was fairly good behind the plate when it came to blocking pitches, and did a good job handling pitchers as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:06 pm 

His cumulative counting stats are only so-so, but I think he'll get in because he's generally regarded by the media as the best-hitting catcher ever.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]