Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Close enough for the Internet
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:34 pm 

AP headline on Yahoo News:

Tejada traded to Orioles for 5 players

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:01 pm 

Wow. The O's got a hell of a deal.

This is actually a trade of not much for not much ... an aging, overpaid, overrated former star for two back-of-the-rotation-at-best starters, a fringe fourth outfielder and two lukewarm mid-level prospects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:59 pm 

Tejada grew frustrated with the Orioles. He vacilated between trying too hard--which led to overswinging and errors at short--and not concentrating and going through the motions. When he's happy, he's a good leader, particularly for Latin American players who idolize him. But when he's pouting or frustrated, and not running hard ... whew.

He should hit a lot of home runs in Houston--especially if he adjusts before the pitchers do. We'll see if he can hit throughout the season.

His shrinking range at short will be exposed on turf. The sooner he moves to third, the better, I think.

But if he hits .320 with 40 home runs and a high fielding percentage at short, I wouldn't be shocked, either.

No telling how this will turn out, although it's bound to be better for the Orioles than their trade with the Astros to get Glenn Davis: young Curt Schilling, Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch for a guy who immediately lost his ability to hit or stay well. That was in 1991; Baltimorons are still angry about that.

Ah, but 1966: The Orioles traded Milt Pappas, Jack Baldschun and Dick Simpson to the Reds for Frank Robinson.

Maybe the youngsters sent to Baltimore will have good careers and sell a lot of jerseys. If nothing else, the O's needed a shake-up and pitchers. Now, if they'd only sign Bedard for the next five years, they'd have a shot at staying ahead of Tampa next season.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:45 pm 

Turf? The Astros play their home games on grass.

With that murderers' row in the heart of the order, Houston should lead the N.L. in runs scored next season. And it'll need to, to offset the lack of pitching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:07 am 

Bood wrote:
Turf? The Astros play their home games on grass.

Yes, but I was thinking there are more turf fields in the NL than the AL.

I don't know the current NL as well as the AL. Maybe I'm wrong.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]