Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: The same, only different
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:25 pm 

World champion bridge player dies:

Quote:
"You could call him the Babe Ruth of bridge," Brent Manley, editor of the Bridge Bulletin, told The Herald of Everett. "Babe Ruth had the home run record for a long, long time and he was kind of a larger-than-life character. Paul was the same way.

Actually, when you click the link and see the guy's picture, Brent Manley sort of has a point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 pm 

No comment, except that the emphasis is mine:
Quote:
He played with Microsoft founder Bill Gates and traveled around the world playing the game he loved professionally.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:17 am 

My goodness. What separates this from parody?

In recent years, as his health deteriorated from diabetes, heart problems and related illnesses, Soloway played through pain. ... Toward the end, as he drifted in and out of consciousness, he mumbled about bridge.

.... His last phone call was to Hamman to let him know that he planned to play at a national tournament in November with their team. Since he couldn't keep his body upright, he planned to play in a wheelchair with straps holding him to the chair, Pruitt said.

Just yesterday I was thinking about how our families, with the best of intentions, tattoo us into perpetuity with some of the most mundane lifetime achievements:

They never had children, but Soloway loved his dogs, naming several after bridge terms.

He certainly was an interesting figure, but he had the misfortune of dying in a small town.

His ashes will eternally rest in two of his coveted Vanderbilt bridge trophies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:05 pm 

If you're comparing Soloway and bridge to baseball, wouldn't it be more logical to compare him to Lou Gehrig?
Gehrig, not Ruth, is the all-time leader in grand slams in baseball, which is the only term I can think of off the top of my head which exists in both sports and could be used in comparisons.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]