Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hold on there.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:08 am 

"They're as good as anybody in baseball," Peavy said of the Rockies. "But they're definitely a beatable team."

They haven't been one recently as Colorado went a major league-best 20-8 in September, thanks mostly to a surging offense that scored an NL-leading 172 runs.
(Stats)

*** September is recent. ***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:38 pm 

Being 20-8 for a month doesn't disguise the fact that you're sending out a No. 5 starter against an ace.
Quote:
“It’s going to be fun — hey, we’re starting the playoffs with Game 7, you know? This is going to be fun.” -- Jake Peavy

I'm no expert, but having a Cy Young favorite going against journeyman Josh Fogg certainly doesn't look as favorable for the Rockies as the national media would have it. Of course, the Rocks are a "better story" even if San Diego has better pitching, so there's the bias.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:31 am 

That was one of the most exciting games I've ever seen.

Post subject: Re: Hold on there.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:57 pm 

I'll bet the writer meant, but failed to convey clearly, that the Rockies haven't been beatable recently.

An exciting game, but not played especially well. The outfielders were horrible. So were the umpires. So were the announcers.

Veering even further off topic: Does it say more about baseball or about me that I can't watch some October games in my home because I don't subscribe to cable?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hold on there.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:40 pm 

Wayne Countryman wrote:
I'll bet the writer meant, but failed to convey clearly, that the Rockies haven't been beatable recently.

An exciting game, but not played especially well. The outfielders were horrible. So were the umpires. So were the announcers.

Veering even further off topic: Does it say more about baseball or about me that I can't watch some October games in my home because I don't subscribe to cable?

I'm in the same boat, and my answer is MLB. There was an article in the Chicago Trib on this same subject yesterday; there are plenty of angry fans in Cubs land (or there will be when they realize they're shut out).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:34 pm 

I sincerely hope it comes to no surprise to most of us that baseball is a business first and a sport second.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]