Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scoring More Runs Dept.
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:53 am 

Wins are boosting Brewers' confidence

*** They have a way of doing that. ***

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:59 am 

We have three Brewers on our fantasy team, so I like the hed even if it is stupid.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:01 pm 

Former Dodgers "great" Ron Fairly was, until this year, the color man for the Seattle Mariners' radio and TV broadcasts.

He became known to many of us as "Captain Obvious" for his many airheaded aphorisms, such as:

"If you score four or more runs, you've got a good chance of winning the ballgame."

"That line drive off the top of the wall would have been a home run if it had been hit just a little higher."

"If you can load the bases in this situation, then the pitcher will really be in trouble."

"The Mariners are up by two here, so it'll take at least three runs to beat them."

And my personal favorite:

"Yesterday, I neglected to say something that bears repeating ...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:59 pm 

Can't remember who the announcer was, but last season I heard a remark about "an inning-ending triple play".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:14 pm 

Last year, Fairly was at the mike when the Mariners lost on a "walk-off walk."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:06 am 

So Fairly was baseball's answer to John Madden?

In Philadelphia we have Chris Wheeler: "In this ballpark, you really got to work to score runs." His over-pronunciation of Spanish names is priceless.

But no one is worse than Tim McCarver. Has anyone else noticed that he continues to get worse? It seems that when he started with the Phillies, he was acceptable, generally lost among Andy Musser, Harry Kalas and Rich Ashburn. Even when he was calling Mets games 20 years ago, he wasn't nearly as grating as he's become. Now I can't make it through an inning with ol' Timmy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:31 am 

Not to mention that Wheeler's just plain wrong: The Phillies' new ballpark is as pitching-hostile a place as there is in baseball.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 am 

Crabby Editor wrote:
But no one is worse than Tim McCarver. I can't make it through an inning with ol' Timmy.

Early on, my wife had trouble understanding why I watch the playoffs with the sound off. Then I treated her to half an inning of Tim. That was probably the most baseball she has watched in her life, and even she could see that he consistently states the obvious as if he's giving us profound insight into the deepest secrets of the game.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]