Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rocket Trivia question
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:54 pm 

This is one I don't know the answer to; at first, I wasn't even sure which season it was (a couple of life-changing events during that season and since then), so bear with me.

When Roger Clemens pitched with the Astros in 2005, he had a sub-1.00 ERA for most of the season. In August or September, he really blew it, so he finished the year with an outrageously high ERA of 1.87. But his run support was so poor that his W-L record was at or below .500 much of the year. (This was the year the Astros picked up Beltran for the second half; Clemens finished 13-8.)

Now, here's the trivia question: If you were to compile season stats for a mythical pitcher based on the performance of each of Clemens' opponents in their respective games against him that season, what would that mythical pitcher's ERA be?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:42 pm 

Once again, I'll share a milestone with the baseball folks. This is post No. 2,000, and I'll, yet again, use the return of Roger Clemens, 44, to point out that if he's still out there, then I am too, in spirit.

I'm almost halfway through 44, and I feel like wearing the number on my back like Reggie Jax. Keep bringin' it, gentlemen.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:27 pm 

He's expected to get about $18 million for the short season. So if he wins, say, nine games, the Yankees will pay $2 million for each victory. Seems a bit steep.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rocket Trivia question
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:41 pm 

onceahack wrote:
This is one I don't know the answer to; at first, I wasn't even sure which season it was (a couple of life-changing events during that season and since then), so bear with me.

When Roger Clemens pitched with the Astros in 2005, he had a sub-1.00 ERA for most of the season. In August or September, he really blew it, so he finished the year with an outrageously high ERA of 1.87. But his run support was so poor that his W-L record was at or below .500 much of the year. (This was the year the Astros picked up Beltran for the second half; Clemens finished 13-8.)

Now, here's the trivia question: If you were to compile season stats for a mythical pitcher based on the performance of each of Clemens' opponents in their respective games against him that season, what would that mythical pitcher's ERA be?

A quick look at baseball-reference.com suggests an ERA of about 0.5. I didn't count up all the actual innings ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:32 am 

“If you think it’s about money, you’re greatly mistaken,” Clemens told reporters at the golf tournament. “I’m not going to put my body through the paces I put my body through to earn a few more dollars.” -- NYT

*a few more dollars*

btw, whatever happened to those steroid rumors? have they been discounted or is he still under suspicion? i haven't seen any mention of them in the comeback stories.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:37 am 

ADKbrown wrote:
btw, whatever happened to those steroid rumors? have they been discounted or is he still under suspicion? i haven't seen any mention of them in the comeback stories.

Unfortunately, I can't post the link because you have to be an online New York Times subscriber to read it, but Selena Roberts' column yesterday was on that very subject. It's available at the Times' baseball page here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:05 am 

Remember, the general ban on steroids extends to Testy Copy Editors. I read Selena Roberts' column as a public service here. It is surprisingly irresponsible in how it deals purely in speculation.

BTW, you can read Times Select stories if you have an education e-mail address that ends in .edu.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]