Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why sports columnists need strong editors
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 pm 

Art Thiel of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer is among those who sometimes need to be saved from themselves:

Quote:
One might argue that these Mariners have more mood swings than a marriage between Britney Spears and Yosemite Sam. But the fact is that streakiness in baseball is much more a function of the modesty of talent.

I'm still trying to figure out what that means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:20 pm 

It means Mr Thiel believes that:

* Britney Spears and Yosemite Sam are very mercurial, possibly bipolar.

* His readers would be unable to follow his longer explanation of just how inconsistent the Mariners are, or possibly he's tired of writing about it.

* In any case, throwing out some popular references, with the implication that they embody a thesis he does not support, is a good way to present that thesis.

* Inconsistent teams have mediocre talent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:07 pm 

Earth-shattering revelations, one and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:24 pm 

I agree with Docsdoctor that he's probably trying to say all that, but he should also be careful to use words that have the meaning he is trying to convey. From Webster's Ninth New Collegiate:
    modesty n 1 : freedom from conceit or vanity 2 : propriety in dress, speech, or conduct

If he must use a fancy word, he could say paucity, but there's hardly a scarcity of simpler ways to say dearth.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:41 pm 

To be clear, I don't mean Thiel is trying to say those things, but that they are the meanings of what he wrote. For instance, I don't believe he was trying to say, "I'm tired of writing about how inconsistent the Mariners are," but I do think that's probably why he dragged Britney and Sam into it.

The only part of the excerpt that has any actual meaning is the assertion that streaky teams lack talent. I don't think he's right about that, but the "mood swings" stuff is kind of a straw man in the first place. Was someone claiming that the team lost games because of their emotional state? If so, he didn't tell us about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:30 pm 

In any case, at some point whoever was reading the story on the sports desk needed to look up and say: "Yo, Art ... WTF????"

But as with Mitch Albom, I'm guessing this doesn't happen because he's "Art Thiel, branded Seattle sports celebrity."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:17 pm 

Yeah, you would think the "branding" would be all the more reason for someone to point out how sloppy a piece it is. The real shame is the number of kids who read this sort of drivel and aspire to write that way themselves. After all, if he has his face by the column, that must be great writing, right?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:27 pm 

Thiel wrote a book about the Mariners a few years back called "Out Of Left Field." His own paper reviewed it as "a triumph of story over storytelling."

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]