Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just how awful will the Nationals be?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:37 pm 

They're 1-8 so far, with no credible starting pitchers and very little reliable punch in the lineup. It's very possible they could be 2003-Tigers bad. Austin Kearns and Ryan Church are about the only players I'd really want if I was a general manager and Washington suddenly had a fire sale.

It's hard to see right now how the Nats could win even 40 games this season.

Anybody have a closer view on this, or just a different one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:06 am 

I would add Ryan Zimmermann to the list of wanted players.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:47 pm 

Or even Ryan Zimmerman.

Jayson Stark weighs in at ESPN.com:

Problems 1 through 25: Talent
And by that we mean: There sure isn't enough of it. This entire starting rotation won two games last year. Yeah, two. The lineup features nobody who hit 25 homers last season. And once you get past Ryan Zimmerman, Austin Kearns and Brian Schneider, the rest of the roster is "just a bunch of extra players," said one scout.

"I've been watching that team, just to see if we might want to [trade] for someone when they start selling," said one front-office man. "I still haven't come up with that someone."

We're not sure how many games this team is going to lose. 100? 110? 118? But wherever they end up, the Nationals already have done something that's just about impossible:

Over their first nine games, 714 hitters marched up to home plate. Not one of them stepped into the box while the Nationals held a lead. (The only time they led in the one game they won, remember, was the moment the winning run crossed the plate in the ninth inning.) That's gotta be a record that will never be broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 pm 

I have tickets for Labor Day. I figure I'll be lucky if they have won anything else by then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:18 pm 

Here I start a smack-talking thread about the Nationals ... and then they go and hang a 2-0 loss on John Smoltz and the Braves. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:52 am 

Keep up the good work! <grin>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:46 pm 

They're 9-21 now ... so now they're just really bad, not historically bad. Which is too bad ... if you're going to suck, you might as well do so memorably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:53 pm 

There is something to be said for that. OTOH, at least they make it interesting more often than not--there have been a lot fewer blowouts than I was expecting, many of the games have been close, and a few have gone extra innings. Yesterday was disastrous, but when you lose your starter to injury in the second inning, you're in trouble (OK, maybe that aplies only to us, but still...). At the moment they're up 3-2 over the Cubbies going into the top of the ninth. Overall I have been pleasantly surprised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:02 pm 

65-79 going into tonight's game; contrary to nearly everyone's predictions, they won't lose 100 games. Manny Acta for manager of the year, anyone? <grin>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:19 pm 

I would support that, given the pile of junk ballplayers Acta's been given to work with. Playing Nook Logan has been his only real managerial misfire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:01 pm 

But even that can be forgiven. "Nook Logan" just sounds like a name that belongs in baseball.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:49 pm 

But Logan is soooo fast!! Geesh. And to think he was actually thought by some to be better than Curtis Granderson in Detroit.

Oh, and the Nats just swept the Mets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:23 pm 

My Manager of the Year vote in the NL (if I had one) goes to Charlie Manuel if the Phillies win a playoff spot, Bob Melvin of the D'backs otherwise.

AL should be Joe Torre, but it wouldn't shock me if Eric Wedge gets it instead.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]