Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez no longer buddies?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:03 pm 

If you're a sports editor, do you run this story?

This strikes me as gossipy bullshit with no real bearing or relevance on baseball. And yet, there's no denying that there's probably a huge audience for lowest-common-denominator journalism like this. The question is, do you pander to that by running this story?

Managing editor Derek Jeter says no:

TAMPA, Fla. -- Maintaining they have a fine relationship on the field and in the clubhouse, Derek Jeter resolutely refused to discuss the deterioration of his friendship with Alex Rodriguez away from the ballpark.

One day after A-Rod finally acknowledged the pair no longer are best friends, Jeter sat in the same first-base dugout at Legends Field and was asked to respond.

"I don't have a rift with Alex," the New York Yankees captain said Tuesday. "We go out there. We work together. This is our fourth year to be playing together. It's annoying to hear about it all the time. Everyone assumes they know what our relationship is. Everyone assumes -- they see us on the field, if one person gives another one a look, it's a story. If we're at opposite ends of the bench, people say it's a story."

Shortly after arriving at spring training on Monday, Rodriguez said it was time for him to stop pretending that his relationship with Jeter was as close as it was in the 1990s. The pair have drifted apart since Rodriguez made critical remarks in a 2001 Esquire article.

"I don't see the relevance of it," Jeter said. "It has no bearing on us playing baseball."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:47 am 

Same answer here as with most Anna Nicole Smith stories:

There's no news value. For some fanaticals, there's entertainment value. Is the section dedicated to providing news, or providing entertainment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:08 am 

The early spring training stories are a nightmare for any beat writer, I'm sure. Jeter-ARod is only a slight bit worse than the "(Insert Local Team) has all the pieces to win this year" story. Good grief. You would think by reading my region's newspapers that the Rockies could meet the Royals in the World Series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:55 am 

Edit2Eat wrote:
You would think by reading my region's newspapers that the Rockies could meet the Royals in the World Series.

You mean my bet on that happening isn't a good one? Oops, guess I'll be eating dog food again in October.
Last time I trust the hometown papers.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]