Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: World Series Action
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:14 pm 

OK. Why are the Cardinals wearing striped clown socks and blue caps?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:50 pm 

Back in the 1940s and 1950s, the Cards wore blue caps. They won the World Series in 1942, 1944, and 1946. I assume that this is an attempt to conjure the spirit of those ‘old school’ winning teams, in order to inspire the boys this year. Or it might be a way to sell more hats. Guess which one I’m going with.

I have no idea about the socks. More of the same, most likely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:23 am 

Having blue caps means another popular color for the Cardinals Shop to sell them in.

As for the clown socks, depends on which version you're talking about. I've only seen one, with horizontal white stripes near the knee, work only by pitcher Anthony Reyes, along with a straight-billed cap. Apparently, he's worn his socks that way since Little League and didn't want to change, and the cap blocks more light and allows him to better see the signs given by the catcher.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:54 am 

Watching Reyes pitch that first game I wondered if the socks might distract batters.

MLB hitters probably don't notice such things, but pitchers intentionally wear distracting things to bother hitters (ragged sleeves, extra long laces in their gloves, odd facial hair).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:40 pm 

I see the Cardinals are wearing their red caps tonight.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:46 pm 

That's right, Tim McCarver!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:05 pm 

jjmoney62 wrote:
That's right, Tim McCarver!

That's colder than a spilled Bud in your lap in the upper deck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:32 pm 

Congrats, Nikko.

Jeff (Bleeping) Weaver?

I'm sorry, could you repeat that?

Jeff (Bleeping) Weaver?

The same guy who had no business being on the Yanks' postseason roster in 2003, much less on the mound in Joe Robbery, giving up the Game 4-winning home run to Alex Gonzalez, of all people? The same guy with an ERA around 7 as late as July this year, released by the Angels in favor of his brother Jered? That Jeff (Bleeping) Weaver?

Weaver became the fourth pitcher in World Series history to defeat his former team in a clinching game, joining Lew Burdette (1957), Mike Cuellar (1970) and Jose Rijo (1990).

Jeff (Bleeping) Weaver.

By the way, what's up with Tony (I wear my sunglasses at night) La Russa? His wearing shades during night games is even weirder than Joe Torre's wearing a watch for every game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:52 am 

Yes, Jeff (Bleeping) Weaver.

And Yadier (Bleeping) Molina.

And NOT Albert (Bleeping) Pujols.

Fox started showing signs in the crowd almost immediately after the first pitch. The one I liked most: "Hit it to the pitcher"

And now, to date myself: The Red Sox and White Sox droughts might have been longer, but this is the first championship for the Cardinals in my lifetime.

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:34 pm 

Seems to me this Series was won by the team with poise.

Weaver apparently finally matured, or at least was made to feel comfortable and wanted. Unfortunately for the Tigers, Yankees and a few other teams, it's tough to predict accurately when that sort of thing will happen.

The young, physically gifted catcher (how many more Molina brothers could there be? Teams will be drafting cousins unseen) probably got a lot of help from the dugout from Duncan.

Rolen got his act together.
The second basemen and corner outfielders didn't fuss about being platooned.

The Cards hung tough without Pujols carrying them.
Their hitters were more patient than the Tigers'.
It's obvious that Leyland did a great job with his young team, but I was surprised that he kept such a nervous free-swinger batting leadoff; but then, who would have done any better? Monroe cooled off. Casey could barely run. Guillen?

The team stayed calm while young Duncan was botching fly balls. (To give credit where it's surprisingly due: I rolled my eyes when Tim McCarver wouldn't let up about the need to take Duncan out before he could make another error; he was right.)

Go crazy, Nikko. Spend your extra hour this weekend celebrating.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:46 am 

wordygurdy wrote:
Jeff (Bleeping) Weaver?

When he was with the Dodgers, I called him "Psycho" because his mug shot made him look like a serial ax murderer who cooked meth on weekends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:35 am 

It's good to learn that Casey was having trouble running. Still, it doesn't make sense to me to pinch-run for him when he's at second base in the 9th and you are down two runs. (If you tie the score there, Casey, your hot hitter, would come up again in the 11th.) The Cards would have, for all intents and purposes, conceded that run. And to drive home the point, the next batter got on to make it first-and-third, and Leyland didn't have his best pinch-runner available to represent the tying run.

La Russa outcoached Leyland, and the Tigers didn't hit or field. Not much analysis needed here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:03 am 

jjmoney62 wrote:
It's good to learn that Casey was having trouble running. Still, it doesn't make sense to me to pinch-run for him when he's at second base in the 9th and you are down two runs.

Agreed. Something else that Tim McCarver pointed out accurately (His average wasn't much higher than the Tigers' OBA, though.) (And I predicted a Subway Series, despite the lack of a tunnel between Michigan and Missouri.)

jjmoney62 wrote:
La Russa outcoached Leyland, and the Tigers didn't hit or field. Not much analysis needed here.

I can't think of anything positive the Tigers did better than the Cardinals.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]