Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sweet Lou
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:33 am 

Good luck to him in Chicago, though I wish he had sat out '07 and taken over for Joe Torre in '08. That would have been perfect. I guess this puts Don Mattingly in line to take over for Torre.

I heard a report this morning that said Piniella is going to try to persuade Alex "the Cooler" Rodriguez to waive his no-trade and join Piniella in Chicago. Hope Piniella doesn't have to pay tampering charges. Is there any possible way the joy engendered in Yankee fans by this report could be borne out? Do the Cubs have the young arm(s) to ship back to the Yankees? (I'm guessing that owing to shoulder injuries, Mark Prior is no longer considered an elite pitcher and that Kerry Wood will never be what he was projected to be, which is the next Nolan Ryan.)

Does anyone know if the Cubs have young pitching to trade?

Nothing like getting the hot stove league fired up a couple of months early.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:41 pm 

On the way I home today I heard Keith Olbermann, on the Dan Patrick Show, saying the Cubs have absolutely nothing to offer. No pitching, no prospects. He thinks they are a mess. And remember, back in April he picked the TIgers and the Mets to go far.

Speaking of the Patrick show, I always like it when Joe Morgan stops by to talk baseball. Now, I know Joe's gotten a bad rap 'round these parts for his color commentary during games. But get him away from the action, and he's smart and insightful. It reminds me of Steve Stone, who was very annoying sitting next to Harry/Skip Caray and droning on all game long. But before or after the game on the sports talk shows, he could run rings around the other analysts.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:53 pm 

Bummer, JJ.

I'm neutral on Joe Morgan; he has seemed competent enough the few times I've seen him on Sunday Night Baseball and seems to make an amiable companion to Jon Miller.

Maybe the Yanks can get a third team involved with the Cubs so that each team gets what it wants. Actually, it would be fittingly complicated, as everything around A-Rod seems to have to be.

Can't say I've ever heard Steve Stone broadcast, so I'll take your word for it.

Olbermann must be feeling good about his Tigers prediction. He had to have been one of the few in the country to have made it..

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]