Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: No longer the Wizard of Oz
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:16 pm 

And so the loudmouthed Venezuelan exits, stage right, and one wonders how much longer he will have the White Sox' reins. Acts like his play well when the team wins, not so much when the team loses. He probably has one more year; if the White Sox don't go back to the postseason in '07, he's probably going to be looking for work.

And good for the Twins. Given that they have been to the postseason four of the past five years, Kenesaw Molehill Selig looks even more foolish than he usually does for having wanted to contract them not long ago. They won't get out of the first round without anyone to back up Johan Santana (who's been shaky himself his past few starts), but good for them nonetheless.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:47 pm 

Nothing has happened to suggest that Guillen's job is in jeopardy. He clearly has Reinsdorf's support and reportedly is popular with his players (of course, who really knows?). I haven't heard anyone credible blame the manager for the White Sox' failure to repeat.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:56 pm 

Just a hunch I have, having watched Billy Martin implode five times in New York. Guillen is Martin without the drink in his hand. (Though Guillen did complain vociferously recently about not being able to drink beer in the Oakland visiting manager's office. The A's had banned alcohol in both home and visiting clubhouses because, I believe, a member of the team's staff had been treated for alcoholism recently. So maybe the drink will be a concern down the road with Guillen.)

Last edited by wordygurdy on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:00 pm 

wordygurdy wrote:
Guillen is Martin without the drink in his hand.

That's a pretty significant difference.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:33 pm 

A beloved visitor brought last week's Chicago Sun-Times with her. And while you can't argue that the sports coverage is among the best around, it was painful to see the word "Ozzie" in three headlines in one edition.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: No longer the Wizard of Oz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:31 pm 

wordygurdy wrote:
Kenesaw Molehill Selig

WG, I'm expecting you to come to my place to clean up the coffee I just spit all over my computer!!!!.

Post subject: Re: No longer the Wizard of Oz
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:45 pm 

wordygurdy wrote:
... And good for the Twins. Given that they have been to the postseason four of the past five years, Kenesaw Molehill Selig looks even more foolish than he usually does for having wanted to contract them not long ago.

Among the things that always bothered me about the proposal to shut down of the Twins: which MLB owner would be in the best geographic position to pick up their fans.

Perhaps just a coincidence ...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:53 pm 

Conn, glad you liked the nickname, but credit for it goes to the terrific writer Bill Madden of the Daily News.

Wayne, great point. The Brew-ha-has (then run by a "family trust" supposedly inviolate from Selig's depredations, though his daughter was the team's CEO at the time) would have benefited most, and that was brought up at the time the contraction talk was being bandied about.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]