Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Here comes the fastball. No, wait: It's the slider
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 pm 

I found this Jackie MacMullan column in the Boston Globe to be a highly entertaining, fascinating glimpse into one of the games within the game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:28 pm 

Roger Angell in The New Yorker, some years back, had a story about the Mets in spring training. One of the pitching coach's tasks was to observe the ways that the pitchers telegraphed their pitches and then tell them, so as to try to break the pitchers of this habit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:58 pm 

J Kaufman wrote:
Roger Angell in The New Yorker, some years back, had a story about the Mets in spring training. One of the pitching coach's tasks was to observe the ways that the pitchers telegraphed their pitches and then tell them, so as to try to break the pitchers of this habit.

That notion sounds so commensensical that that probably explains why such a duty hasn't been assigned to every major-league pitching coach.

It wasn't long after the Diamondbacks won the Series in '01 that it came out that the Yankees knew Pettitte was tipping his pitches in Game 6 (it might have even surfaced in the accounts of Game 6, but I can't recall precisely). My feeling was, If they knew then, why didn't they tell Pettitte not to tip, for God's sake? It's like the old comedian's line about the guy who goes to the doctor and says, "It hurts when I do this," only to have the doc respond, "So don't do that!" Duh!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]