Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Double take
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:12 pm 

Quote:
BOSTON (AP) -- Johnny Damon tripled into the Fenway Park triangle to start a rare five-game series, and later homered and drove in four runs to lead the New York Yankees over the Boston Red Sox 12-4 Friday in the opener of a day-night doubleheader. . . .

Damon, who was a triple short of the cycle Thursday, got the Yankees off to a fast start when he led off the game with a drive over Coco Crisp in center field. The ball rolled into the triangle-shaped warning track for a triple, and Jeter followed with an RBI single. -- from NYT site

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:14 pm 

First graph refers to Friday's game, second refers to Thursday's game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 pm 

More precisely, the first ten words of the second graph refer to Thursday's game. The rest of that graph is about Friday's first game. Could be clearer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:16 am 

I told my friends before Game 1 Friday I had a feeling one team was going to win three games, but I had no idea which one.

Even after the sweep by the Yanks, I still don't. That's how evenly these teams are matched, for better and worse. The Yanks could easily sweep or be swept in the next three games. They have no idea which Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina and Cory Lidle is going to show up, just as the Red Sox have no idea which Josh Beckett, Curt Schilling and David Wells is going to show up.

Some Red Sox fans in my paper's sports department before Game 1 were predicting a five-game sweep by the Yankees. I thought the '04 championship had wiped out Red Sox Nation's fatalism, but I guess not. I would never predict a sweep in a five-game series. Not in that ballpark and with those two teams.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:36 pm 

G-Fin wrote:
First graph refers to Friday's game, second refers to Thursday's game.

I knew that. Really, I did.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]