Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Yanks and Ponson: Match made in hell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:14 pm 

Good heavens. This has to be a George Steinbrenner move. No one with Cashman's baseball acumen would have signed such a player.

Maybe he'll be sent to Columbus to get into shape (no chance of that happening) and get torched (on the field), thus negating any chance of his arriving on the mound in the Bronx. That's the only thing sane Yankee fans can hope for.

Nikko, we don't want to feel your pain!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:20 pm 

ESPN.com wrote:
Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday the deal "made sense, compared to everything else that was available to us."

I'll bet Sir Sidney Ponson appreciates that vote of confidence.

Perhaps King George liked the idea of signing Aruban nobility. I'm inspired to pose a trivia question, to which I don't pretend to know the answer: Is Ponson the only knight ever to play Major League Baseball?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:33 pm 

A more cynical view might be that George just can't resist having a serious substance abuser on the team. If it's not Billy Martin, it's Steve Howe. If it's not Steve Howe, it's Darryl Strawberry. If it's not Darryl Strawberry, it's Dwight Gooden. Now it's Ponson.

This would be valid if George were the George of 10 years ago, who seemed to take a perverse pleasure in hiring players everyone else thought beyond redemption. But nowadays by all media accounts, he is increasingly detached from the day-to-day runnings of the team, if not from reality itself.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Cashman really was acting on his own, and he really does believe it's a low-risk proposition only for the next couple of months, if that long. At least the Yankees didn't give up any players for Ponson, and I find it hard to believe he could be worse than Shawn Chacon has been this year.

I think Ponson will probably have a very, very, short leash--as in, one or two starts--before he is released and one of the Double-A or Triple-A starters is brought up. I will be extremely surprised if Ponson is still with the team when it plays at Fenway on Aug. 18.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Yanks and Ponson: Match made in hell
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:09 pm 

wordygurdy wrote:
Niko, we don't want to feel your pain!

On behalf of Cardinals fans everywhere, I'd just like to say thank you to Mr. Steinbrenner and Mr. Cashman for lifting that almost-300-pound weight off our shoulders.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:49 pm 

You guys won't give anyone a break. Obviously Mr. Ponson has a problem quite different from all those rumored steroid users you're all hot and bothered about. This poor guy's a drunk. Why not help him get back on his feet?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:21 pm 

You can't help an alcoholic get sober until he hits bottom and is ready to do so.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]