Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Test your knowledge (WARNING--spoilers for thread below)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:59 pm 

Candy Cummings? Isn't she appearing with Mystique and Aura at the Boom-Boom Room?

How many of you were as surprised as I was that Ty Cobb didn't hold the triples record? Turns out he had 295, second on the career list.

Was anyone else as surprised as I was about Rogers Hornsby's not being the .426 hitter? He had declined by the time he got to the AL.

Interesting that Foxx was the first to 500 homers. I guessed Ott.

I knew the answer to the first to hit 50 homers and strike out fewer than 50 times because I just last night read a quote from Johnny Mize about his doing that very thing in teammate Phil Rizzuto's "The October Twelve," which I'm reading.

I had thought Don Newcombe's career had started before the Rookie of the Year award was given. My guess was Drysdale.

And I thought it was the 2001 Mariners who had hit 264 homers, given that they won 116 games. But they weren't among the choices, and I knew Buhner and Griffey were on the '97 team, so I chose them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:04 pm 

I got Nap Lajoie correct.

My knowledge of baseball history is very scattered ... and slipping.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:28 pm 

jjmoney62 wrote:
I got Nap Lajoie correct.

My knowledge of baseball history is very scattered ... and slipping.

Look at it this way, JJ: Your knowledge just improved with your having taken the quiz.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:16 am 

You know, some of my historical knowledge, including Nap Lajoie's .426, comes from playing Earl Weaver Baseball on my PC when I was a kid. That game was loaded with all-time greats, and their stats from the "best" year of their careers.

Also when I was a kid, man, I soaked baseball up. Read everything I could get my hands on. Even though I was born a few years after Roberto Clemente died, he was one of my all-time favorites, just from what I read about him. Same with Hank Aaron.

And, as with many baseball fans, I absolutely loved the stats - digging into the numbers, comparing this and that.

So even though I haven't read much baseball lately, some of that stuck with me and helped me out a bit.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]