Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just curious
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:53 pm 

Anyone have a take on the Ozzie Guillen-Jay Mariotti mess?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:24 am 

See General Discussion for a discussion of the linguistic side of this.

On the baseball side, I find myself unable to sustain much interest. It's a nutty manager sounding off on a blowhard reporter, which isn't particularly special except for Guillen's use of the word "fag." I'll just say I'm glad that Guillen finally received a fine, and, perhaps more important, that Bud Selig was apparently responding to a loud outcry in deciding to impose that fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:34 am 

It finally inspired the Chicago Tribune's Rick Morrissey to write a decent column, which gingerly takes Mariotti to task for reporting and columnizing from his armchair rather than the trenches. I'm sure that bugs athletes to no end.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:02 pm 

Ozzie sounds like a world-class a-hole, frankly. He's going to get himself fired one day. If the White Sox weren't any good, he probably would have been fired long ago, because this type of managerial personality doesn't go very far when the team is bad.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent personality in the managerial ranks of the past, and I'm coming up with Billy Martin, who was also known for bigotry but whose biggest nemesis was the bottle. Guillen, as far as I know, does not have a reputation as a drinker. Martin would say anything about anyone too, and his act was tolerated until he lost his team's confidence and the team started losing.

Martin's not quite Guillen's analogue, but he's close.

Bobby Valentine might be another good historical twin for Guillen. I saw Valentine described in print once as "Billy Martin without the drink in his hand."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:43 am 

jjmoney62 wrote:
It finally inspired the Chicago Tribune's Rick Morrissey to write a decent column, which gingerly takes Mariotti to task for reporting and columnizing from his armchair rather than the trenches. I'm sure that bugs athletes to no end.

Doesn't exactly make me feel all warm and cozy, either.

I wasn't aware Mariotti was a desk bunny. In my estimation, that makes him even more of a blow-hole.

It's particularly teeth-grinding as I'm watching "All the President's Men," featuring reporters who spent a great deal of time outside the newsroom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:07 pm 

Baseball can really bring people together. Ozzie Guillen has found a supporter in noted immigrant-hater John Rocker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:22 pm 

Nice to see Bill Madden and I are on the same wavelength. At 8:30 p.m. Sunday, I turned to page 76 of the Sunday Daily News and found this in his weekly baseball roundup:

Ozzie just like Billy

The trials and tribulations of Guillen this week - culminating in his suspension for his role in the White Sox's Tuesday beanball hijinks with the Cardinals and his fine and assignment to sensitivity classes after calling longtime Sox antagonist Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti a gay slur - are just something the White Sox are going to have to accept as part of the territory with shoot-from-the-hip managers. And when they can't accept it anymore - or when the players themselves grow weary of Guillen's act - he'll be gone. Some are predicting this might be sooner rather than later, although it would seem Guillen still has too much cache with Sox board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

In a way, Guillen reminds us a lot of Billy Martin - or at least the Billy Martin circa 1976-78. When George Steinbrenner hired Martin to replace quiet Bill Virdon, it was as much for the "fire" and "bad boy" persona he brought to the job as it was for his unquestioned managing ability. Not surprisingly, less than a year after Martin won it all for the Yankees, his fire got him fired. Guillen has the same volatility as Martin had - as well as the same innate ability to self-destruct.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:35 pm 

I don't claim to know Ozzie Guillen but I can say with certainty that any comparison between him and Billy Martin is absurd on many levels.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]