Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:59 pm 

Elrod Hendricks has died.

I vaguely remember him as a player toward the end of his career with the Yankees, but I do have a lasting image of him in an Orioles uniform, and he was usually laughing whenever the cameras were on him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:32 pm 

It's especially sad that he was only 65.

When I saw your subject line, I expected to read a diatribe about the Idiot moving to the Bronx.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:01 pm 

Speaking of Damon, do you think he's worth $13M a year for the next four seasons? As a Yankees fan, I suppose I should be glad, but it looks like his best season was six years ago. He hit another peak the year the Sox won the Series. His followup season, while still solid, showed a bit of a dropoff. He's 32, so we can expect more signs of decline.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:56 pm 

Damon hurt his shoulder early in the year and played hurt the rest of the season. Couldn't throw. Couldn't swing much.

I can imagine him thriving for a few years with, I suppose, Jeter, batting behind him and Matsui and Sheffield beside him in the outfield.

But that's only if his shoulder heals. If he's still hindered, the fans, the press and George will get on him.

Roadtrips to Fenway should be, um, interesting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:04 pm 

Elrod Hendricks played a lot of seasons in Baltimore. He was a solid player and popular on teams that tended to have reserved stars (for instance, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken) and even quiet role players. He and another catcher, Rick Dempsey, stood out on those teams more for their personalities than their abilities.

He spent the past few decades as an Oriole coach, mostly in the bullpen. Until not too many years ago he'd catch down there during practice or perhaps before games.

He loved baseball. His health came to be a problem some years back, but he was one of those have-to-tear-the-uniform-off-his-back types.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sad
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:12 pm 

Wayne Countryman wrote:
Elrod Hendricks played a lot of seasons in Baltimore. He was a solid player and popular on teams that tended to have reserved stars (for instance, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken) and even quiet role players. He and another catcher, Rick Dempsey, stood out on those teams more for their personalities than their abilities.

He spent the past few decades as an Oriole coach, mostly in the bullpen. Until not too many years ago he'd catch down there during practice or perhaps before games.

He loved baseball. His health came to be a problem some years back, but he was one of those have-to-tear-the-uniform-off-his-back types.

Nice remembrance, Wayne.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:34 pm 

ADKbrown wrote:
Speaking of Damon, do you think he's worth $13M a year for the next four seasons? As a Yankees fan, I suppose I should be glad, but it looks like his best season was six years ago. He hit another peak the year the Sox won the Series. His followup season, while still solid, showed a bit of a dropoff. He's 32, so we can expect more signs of decline.

I was surprised but not shocked that Damon signed with the Yanks. All during the season, I was positive he would be the Opening Day 2006 center fielder in the Bronx. But as the offseason progressed and Boras didn't budge from seven years, $84 mil, I got the feeling he was going to get six years and an option for around that amount from the Red Sox, who couldn't afford to lose him for several reasons.

Damon's contract is market value, in my opinion. Most news reports here in New York pointed out that the Yankees gave the same deal to Hideki Matsui last month, and I thought Matsui was a bit underpaid, given his production. Damon is pretty much a complete player, poor arm aside. What Damon may lack in home run power compared to Matsui, he makes up for with exceptional speed and baserunning instincts.

Damon just turned 32 on Nov. 5, so he will finish next season at age 32 and will be 35 at the end of his Yankee contract. This is not a decrepit player on his metaphorical last legs. He is probably bound for a DL stint at some point in his Yankee contract; the team just has to hope it's not a long one. It bodes well, though, that he has yet to spend any time on the DL in his career.

The bottom line is that Damon is exactly what the Yankees needed to fill their center-field opening. The Yankees didn't have to give up what few prospects they still have to get him. And Damon's defection seriously weakens the Red Sox on the field.

If all the hitters stay healthy, the Yankees could well score more than a thousand runs next year. And with their aged pitching staff, they could need every one of those runs.

Brian Cashman, the Yankee GM, has had a pretty great offseason. He has restocked the bullpen with the best arms that were available on the market (B.J. Ryan declined to come to the Yanks) and addressed the team's one glaring offensive (if not defensive) gap with Damon's signing. Hats off to him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:53 pm 

Thanks for the reply, gurdy. I hope you're right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:44 pm 

The Red Sox are in disarray. Who knows what will happen with Manny Ramirez-- the multi-headed front office monster might unload him without getting much in return.

I expect the Yankees to be stronger next season, especially if their aging pitchers and catchers stay well and Damon's shoulder heals. Giambi and Cano should be solid and maybe far better from the very start. Jeter, for better or worse, won't have to learn a new position. And Torre and Cashman return.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]