Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: How'd this happen?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:30 pm 

ESPN's Jayson Stark wrote:
CHICAGO -- The magic of October lies in the moments that can't be explained. Not five minutes later. Not five decades later.

So try to explain this moment. This game-winning moment. This game-winning home run hit by a man who hit no home runs all year.

This game-winning home run hit off a pitcher who already seemed to have served up the most painful homer of his lifetime -- and was just as likely not to serve up another one until the 4th of July.

Try to explain it. Go ahead. Take all the time you need.

White Sox leadoff dirtball Scott Podsednik crashed a walk-off home run off Astros bullpen monster Brad Lidge on Sunday night. On a night when Lake Michigan turned upside-down and fell on U.S. Cellular Field. In Game 2 of the World Series, with a million lives riding on it.

How'd that happen?

How could it possibly happen?

No logic could explain it. No numbers could explain it. No scout could explain it. The man who threw the pitch and the man who hit the pitch couldn't explain it.

So go ahead. Tell us. How'd that happen?

I don't know. What I do know is that I get depressed whenever I long onto ESPN and discover that Stark was the one assigned to write the day's main story.

There are a thousand ways to write any baseball story, and he always manages to find the most repetitive and vapid one.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]