Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dan Patrick
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:10 pm 

Today I listened to 5 minutes of Dan Patrick's afternoon show on ESPN radio. He had a Houston sportswriter on, and they went down a list of ballplayers, judging whether they were Hall of Fame material or not. (Don't worry, I won't start yet another HOF thread.)

I often tune in Patrick on my short afternoon ride home. His show reminds me of old-fashioned radio. I'm not a sports guy, but I keep checking in with him. Yesterday he had corny fun with Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier. And once a week he is reunited with Keith Olbermann (usually on Fridays, but it's already a running joke that, because Patrick takes a lot of days off, their day together often gets bumped up in the week).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:23 pm 

I admit that when I drove to work in Chicago, I listened to Patrick. He was refreshing compared with the swill usually found on "sports-talk radio."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:53 am 

An advantage of radio sports shows over TV is that TV plays up the home runs, cheap-shot tackles and dunks over teamwork and intelligence.

Sure, Patrick and Olbermann were a part of that on ESPN TV when they did the highlights show together, but they did it with tongues in cheeks. They also knew when to pull back.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:01 am 

Patrick did local sports here many moons ago. I liked him; always wondered what became of him. Glad to know he's still at it.

(I don't have cable and rarely ever see ESPN, so I had no idea he'd wound up there.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:38 pm 

While I was still in school, his show was often on my car's radio for the ride back after class. I loved the tongue-in-cheek attitude and refreshing difference that has already been discussed. I actually called in one time when Patrick and co-host Rob Dibble were talking about the NHL (this was during the lockout and before anyone knew if there would be an NHL after the 2005 season). I got on the air and it was like talking with the buddies over a few beers. Anyone who encourages callers to start off with their height and weight and follows that with a bell sound before beginning the conversation is alright in my book.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:48 pm 

Thinking of Rob Dibble, a friend of mine hung a great nick on him years ago: Drubble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:37 pm 

When the Royals lost 600 games in a row this summer, hearing Patrick ask George Brett if the Royals would ever win again was quite a treat.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]