Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Virgil Trucks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:08 pm 

I just saw an odd item in "This Date in Baseball" in the NYT. On this day, the Tigers' Virgil Trucks posted his second no-hitter of the season in 1952--on his way to a sparkling 5-19 record.

I looked up his stats for the year: 197 IP, 190 H, 129 K, 82 BB, 3.97. Not a great pitcher, but certainly better than his 5-19 record suggests. How did he manage two no-hitters?

The Tigers, by the way, won both games 1-0. I guess it was the only way Trucks could win.

You can read about Virgil here.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:24 pm 

Interesting, ADK! Thanks! I think I recall my father's telling me that Trucks used to be lights-out against the Yankees. I'll see if I can look that up at retrosheet.org.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Virgil Trucks
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:54 pm 

ADKbrown wrote:
How did he manage two no-hitters?

Same way Johnny Vander Meer did it in successive starts, I reckon — a lot of luck.

Post subject: Re: Virgil Trucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:01 am 

Oeditpus Rex wrote:
ADKbrown wrote:
How did he manage two no-hitters?

Same way Johnny Vander Meer did it in successive starts, I reckon — a lot of luck.

Vander Meer and Trucks are two of a handful of pitchers who have thrown two no-hitters in a season. I looked it up last night but left the list at home. I believe the following list is complete:

1. Larry Corcoran of Chicago back in the 1880s.

2. Allie Reynolds of the Yankees in 1950s.

3. Jim Maloney pitched two 10-inning stints of no-hit ball one year in the mid-60s but gave up a hit in the 11th. (He lost one game.)

4. Dean Chance pitched a no-hitter in the late 1960s after pitching a 5-inning perfect game earlier in season. Probably shouldn't count.

5. Nolan Ryan when he was with the Angels.

Maloney, by the way, went on to pitch a no-hitter later in his career. If you count the first two, that gives him three. I also looked up the pitchers with three or more no-hitters in their career. That list also is short: Koufax, Ryan, Cy Young, Bob Feller. (I think that's it.)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]