Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: The further adventures of Captain Obvious
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:18 pm 

An AP lead today:

NEW YORK — A day after Randy Johnson gave up four home runs in one inning during a loss at Chicago, the Yankees admitted the Big Unit has struggled during his first season in New York.

Post subject: Re: The further adventures of Captain Obvious
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:35 am 

Wabberjocky wrote:
An AP lead today:

NEW YORK — A day after Randy Johnson gave up four home runs in one inning during a loss at Chicago, the Yankees admitted the Big Unit has struggled during his first season in New York.

Aging pitcher with a bad back changes leagues and plays in a big market for the first time. Some of us predicted this in the spring.

And as a recovering Red Sox fan, I still fear Johnson and his team.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The further adventures of Captain Obvious
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:17 am 

Wayne Countryman wrote:
Wabberjocky wrote:
An AP lead today:

Aging pitcher with a bad back changes leagues and plays in a big market for the first time. Some of us predicted this in the spring.

And as a recovering Red Sox fan, I still fear Johnson and his team.

Glad you do, Wayne. I and many other Yankee fans have resigned ourselves to taking whatever Johnson--and the other Yankee starters, for that matter--gives us on any given night. We expect nothing and thus are not disappointed when we get it.

Johnson and the other Yankee starters are just as likely to be fair to middling or to get outright shelled as they are to be extremely effective.

The Yanks' starters' ineffectiveness and/or inconsistency will probably spell the team's doom in the postseason, should it get there.

Interestingly, Wabber, I saw an article in the Daily News Sunday that quoted an expert from Baseball Prospectus who before this season started predicted the Yanks would finish with 87 wins. They were on pace for 88 before Sunday's games. The analyst, a hard-core Yankee fan, ruefully said he hated being right in this case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:20 am 

I think that was the same guy who still suffers remorse over pointing out to the world that by any statistical measure, Derek Jeter is defensively inferior at shortstop.

(But we won't open THAT can of worms again, I promise.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:06 pm 

As if on cue: I watched exactly 2 minutes of tonight's game, enough time to see the Blue Jays score 5 runs off Mike Mussina. Brutal.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:10 pm 

It was a troubling game, because Mussina's strongest suit has always been his consistency. For several years he was arguably the most consistent pitcher in the American League. He's certainly been my favorite Yankee pitcher since he joined the club. But this year he's had a couple of these total-meltdown innings, and it bothers me as much as or more than the team's other problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:37 pm 

Mussina almost always has the meltdown inning. He's been that way since he joined the Yankees. When he loses it, he loses it in an astonishing hurry. It's almost as if someone else--a fan from the stands, perhaps--has jumped into his uniform for that one inning.

It's why Murray Chass of the Times consistently derides Mussina in print as "overrated." Agreed. The guy will win from 15 to 18 every year, but he will never dominate a season and will never win 20. And his best years are clearly behind him.

He's also a world-class grump if press accounts are to be believed. Last year he was griping all the way to Japan for the season-opening series and all the way home, and he had a horrid first half as if in self-fulfilling prophecy.

He even complained that the start of a game last August he was to pitch in Toronto was delayed to pay tribute to longtime Blue Jays' broadcaster Tom Cheek. Cheek had broadcast more than 4,000 Blue Jays games and had to miss his first just prior to that Yankee series to attend his father's funeral. Then Cheek was found to have a malignant brain tumor. So the team paid tribute to him on the field, and the start of the game was pushed back 15 minutes or so. Mussina whined about it.

Now, for $19 million this year, he's essentially a five-and-fly, 100-pitch guy. How about going eight innings for that $19 mil, Mike? How about that?

No, no great Mussina fan, I.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]