Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Graceless under pressure
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:17 pm 

From today's AP:

MIAMI (AP) — Diamondbacks television analyst Mark Grace is not likely to be disciplined by the team after he used multiple expletives Tuesday night during the broadcast of Arizona's game against the Florida Marlins.

Team president Rich Dozer said Grace's language was regrettable and blamed an apparent faulty "talk-back" button connecting the visiting TV booth to the television truck at Dolphins Stadium.

After the game, speaking to reporters while in the elevator leading to the stadium's ground level, Grace said there was a period in the early innings when he wasn't aware his microphone was live because of the "talk-back" problem.

"Through a technical difficulty, I may have offended some people," said Grace, who apologized during a postgame interview and promised not to curse again during a broadcast. "If that's the case, I apologize and I will face any consequences."

Dozer told The Arizona Republic there was "no excuse" for the cursing during the Fox Sports Net Arizona telecast.

The team president said the Diamondbacks weren't planning disciplinary action against Grace, who spent his final three years as a player with Arizona after 13 seasons with the Chicago Cubs.

"We feel terrible about it, and I know Mark is mortified about it, but it's a tough lesson for us all," Dozer said. "Our mission is to provide a quality, family atmosphere, and it's unfortunate something like this happened."

Yes, Mark. Technology is clearly to blame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:05 pm 

Not to play devil's advocate, but have you tried not swearing for a full nine-inning baseball game? I think I've maybe done it a couple of times as a kid before I knew the words existed. Since we're not privy to what he was swearing about, I'm a little lenient on this one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:49 pm 

Besides, he was commenting on the Diamondbacks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]