Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shut up, Gary
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:35 pm 

How about trying that?

The Yanks are trying as hard as they can to avoid the Devil Rays in last place, and here's Sheffield, doing his best to sow dissension in the ranks.

It's probably because he's such a student of the game and of the Yankees that he realizes how much animosity there was among members of the Yanks' world-champ teams of the late '70s. So, he probably figures, these Yanks could use a little roiling.

Yeah, that's it.

August 5, 2005
Sheffield Sounds Off in Magazine Interview
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 12:43 p.m. ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- Gary Sheffield knows who leads the New York Yankees, and it apparently isn't Derek Jeter or Alex Rodriguez. Sheffield all but appointed himself the Yankees' most valuable player in an interview with New York magazine, accusing reporters of distorting the truth and ruining team chemistry.

''I know who the leader is on the team,'' Sheffield told the magazine. ''I ain't going to say who it is, but I know who it is. I know who the team feeds off. I know who the opposing team comes in knowing they have to defend to stop the Yankees.

''I know this. The people don't know. Why? The media don't want them to know. They want to promote two players in a positive light, and everyone else is garbage.''

Sheffield was batting .302 this season entering Friday night's game against Toronto, a percentage point behind Jeter and well behind Rodriguez's team-leading .316.

Rodriguez also leads in home runs (30) and RBIs (85). Sheffield's 21 homers and 81 RBIs are tied for second in both categories.

Sheffield said the heavy scrutiny that goes with playing in New York inhibits friendships in the locker room.

''This is the first team I've been on where no one sits at their locker,'' he said. ''It's where you build your chemistry, just talking about life. I'm used to having six chairs around me, but here if there are six chairs, then there's going to be 20 reporters.''

Even if the clubhouse were less hectic, Sheffield said he wouldn't grow too close to any teammates.

''I don't trust that many people,'' he told New York. ''Just my mother and my wife and a couple of friends. When I trust people, it doesn't end well.''

Sheffield was never known for his congeniality during tumultuous stops in Milwaukee and Los Angeles. He blamed the media for his reputation.

''It happens because you're white and I'm black,'' Sheffield said. ''My interpretation of things is different. You don't see it the way I see it. You write how you understand it, how you would articulate it, not how I, as a black man, would articulate it.''

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:06 pm 

I wonder if "Barry Bonds" and "Giants" were substituted for "Gary Sheffield" and "Yankees," would anyone would know the difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:10 pm 

Probably not, Wabber. And it's appropriate, given their mutually selfish attitudes, that Sheffield and Bonds used to hang out together and train together, pre-BALCO.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]