Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Deadline deals
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:00 pm 

I propose we keep our analyses to one thread, as they'll be coming in a flurry over the next 18 hours.

Surprisingly little today ... Phil Nevin for Chan Ho Park, which is a "aging overpriced mediorcity for same" salary dump. And just now, Seattle's Randy Winn to San Francisco for two players to be named later. I'm a Seattle fan and will miss Winn a little but am anxious to see what Chris Snelling, who was tearing up Triple-A, can do with an extended audition.

Update: M's get Jesse Foppert and Yorvit Torrealba. Initial reaction: Not too shabby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:46 pm 

I'm reasonably happy with the Yankees acquisition of Shawn Chacon. He cost them very little, and he had a very good ERA this year for someone who pitches half his games at Coors Field (4.09). His atrocious W-L record is mostly a product of playing for the worst team in baseball.

He was stellar in his Yankees debut today, giving up only one run (which scored on a passed ball) in six innings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:52 pm 

I agree, Matthew ... since they seemed determined to pick up every crappy castoff from the waiver wire (Groom, Leiter, Nomo and now Embree). For a while the Yanks seemed to be emulating the Devils Rays approach to player acquisition, which was just weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:19 pm 

New: Jose Cruz Jr., who'd been DFA'd by the Diamondbacks, goes to Boston for two nondescript minor-leaguers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:25 pm 

Agree, Matthew. And before today, Chacon's road ERA was only 3.12. Another example of how you can't evaluate a Rockies player till he gets out of Coors for a year or two.

What are the Mariners doing? They're not contending this year. Surely they realize that. I'm hoping Eddie Guardado ends up in the Bronx before Sunday 4 p.m. Eastern. I think whichever team gets him--if he indeed goes somewhere--will have a definite postseason edge, given how often postseason games come down to which bullpen is most effective.

And, Matthew, my head is spinning with all the acquisitions the Yanks have been making lately. I was flabbergasted to tune in today's game on XM and find Embree had been signed! A Yankee fan who had been out of the country for a week could be forgiven for wondering what the heck Embree was doing cleanshaven and on the Yankee Stadium mound in pinstripes! On ESPN Radio, anyway, the announcers commented on how Embree's entry into the game was greeted with stone silence by the fans, who, the announcers noted, might not have even been aware of the signing, given that it took place near midnight.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:34 pm 

The buzz here is that the Mariners still have lots of deals to make before the deadline. Guardado, Jamie Moyer and Ron Villone are all being discussed quite fervently. Atlanta is said to rival Boston as the srongest contenders in the Guardado sweepstakes.

Eddie's been great this year, but remember ... he has a torn rotator cuff. He opted against surgery, and the choice has paid off so far ... but I'd sure be leery.

Last edited by Wabberjocky on Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:36 pm 

Interesting. Thanks, Wabber. So the Foppert/Torrealba deals were retooling for the future?

I don't think I knew that about Guardado's shoulder. Yeesh. Leery, indeed. The way the Yanks' season has been going, they will give up their top prospects for him, he will throw two scoreless innings against the Indians next week and then blow out his shoulder for the rest of the year. That sounds about right.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:43 pm 

Here's what Baseball Prospectus has to say about Eddie Guardado:

"Guardado's knee problems led to a shoulder problem, ending his '04 season in July. Rehabbing a torn rotator cuff seems reasonable if it's as minor a tear as they say. If it was caused by mechanical problems resulting from another injury, it also seems reasonable that it won't recur. But once it's torn, there's no going back. We wouldn't count on him pitching regularly ... rotator cuff problems are particularly subject to setbacks, or worse."

Then again, BP didn't think he was a good bet to pitch this year, and he's arguably been among the top five closers in baseball this year. Maybe even the best.

The Mariners have always said they're reloading for a playoff run in '06. Right now, they're sending Foppert to Triple-A, and calling up super-apocalypto-phenom Felix Hernandez, the 19-year-old with the nuclear arm, to join the rotation. Foppert could be up sooner if Jamie Moyer gets dealt ... but word is he's already exercised his 10-and-5 rights on one trade, to the Astros.

Update: M's deal crappy catcher Miguel Olivo to San Diego for crappy catcher Miguel Ojeda. It's not known if their wives will notice the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:43 am 

I think you Yankees fans are going to like Chacon. He has a wicked curve, developed growing up in Colorado. Where he'll kill you is when the curve isn't quite right -- then he'll walk the ballpark. That's what killed him as a closer. There was always traffic.
If Park can do his thing, the Padres might just finish a game above .500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:25 am 

The conventional wisdom says that playing at sea level will enable Chacon's curve to break more reliably than it did in the thin mile-high air. Here's hoping that's the truth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]