Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sheffield in HOF?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:10 am 

Sheffield has 21 home runs this season and 436 in a major league career that began in 1988 and may end up receiving consideration for the Hall of Fame. -- NYT

Comments?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:29 am 

I'm tempted to lock this one up immediately.

But if anyone plans to vote in the affirmative, let's hear it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:49 am 

I can't stand the guy, even though he currently plays for my team and is hitting well.

He's a whiny, crybaby, arrogant journeyman prima donna who happens to be able to crush the ball. He's a borderline case, but this is the Steroids Era, so that plus his insufferable attitude leads me to say, "No way." Only if he plays another five years at this level will I be forced to grudgingly reconsider.

He also cares ONLY about crushing the ball. I've seen him bat with two out in the bottom of the ninth with the tying run on third, and all he does is swing away. He cares about one thing: his own numbers. The team's success is meaningless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:43 am 

I'm with Matthew. If he ends up with 600 homers and a zillion RBIs while keeping his batting average up, then maybe he merits consideration.

But that depends on his staying healthy without his skills eroding much until an age when that's unusual. It would help if his teams do well and he plays hard without causing problems.

It amazes me how he continues to pull fastballs and hit for average at his age with that jerky batting style.

He's not going to make it in for his fielding or concern for team play.

A player with similar issues is Manny Ramirez. Great for HRs and RBIs (his average is down a bit this season) but a mediocre fielder and runner and a frequent headache for the team.

And remember back when young Frank Thomas was considered a lock for the Hall?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:54 pm 

It's tempting for me to say that Sheffield will never get into the Hall, just to spite him because he's such a child. But he has compiled numbers that will probably merit serious consideration.

I agree with Matthew and Wayne that he will be a much better candidate if he eventually belts 600 home runs. There are other players, though--Andre Dawson, Jose Canseco and Jim Rice come to mind--who have numbers similar to or better than Sheffield's (at least at this point in Sheffield's career) and will never get into the Hall.

Sheffield has 2,286 hits, well short of the 3,000 he would, in my opinion, need to make Cooperstown reservations. He would have to stay healthy and average about 150 hits a year over the next six years to reach 3,000. I could be wrong, but I don't think he will get in without 600 homers and 3,000 hits.

And as has been pointed out here, Sheffield isn't going to make anyone forget Roberto Clemente in the outfield. It's amazing to me that Sheffield gets a free pass in terms of media criticism of his fielding. In fact, I heard Mike Francesa in an interview with Joe Torre last week mention in a list of the team's woes Sheffield's being "an atrocious right fielder," and Torre didn't challenge the assertion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:53 pm 

He's the Dick Allen of his time ... a great hitter, an insufferable personality. Allen gets mentioned as a canddiate occasionally over the years, but never comes close in the voting.

I think Sheffield, with all his other negative factors, will have his case decided when injuries eat up more and more of the years he has left.

I agree that he has to hit 3,000 to overcome that ... essentially, to have a Paul Molitor finish to his career.

But he is one hell of a ball-striker ... one of the best of his generation.

But next up is Craig Biggio, at about 2,750 hits ... now THAT is a problematic case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:43 am 

Not really. Biggio was one of the ten or so best second basemen of all time. He's in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:44 am 

Matthew Grieco wrote:
Not really. Biggio was one of the ten or so best second basemen of all time. He's in.

Especially since he holds the record for being hit by a pitch.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]