Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: The HOF is officially irrelevant
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:02 pm 

By David Skretta, USA TODAY

There have been more than 200 no-hitters pitched in Major League Baseball. Why, then, is the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum making such a fuss over a Little Leaguer who did it?

Maybe because it was also a perfect game and because all 18 outs in the six-inning game were strikeouts.

Maybe because the pitcher is a girl.

Hall of Fame honor for young baseball star

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:16 pm 

I'm not sure I follow you, Oeditpus. Are you being sarcastic about the USA Today lead, or are you actually saying that it's somehow inappropriate for the Hall of Fame to honor this girl in an exhibit?

If the latter, I disagree. The Hall has always been about much, much more than the 260 people elected as "members." They are just the people honored in the most famous and prestigious of many exhibits.

The Hall of Fame Museum has always had exhibits about the game itself, from Major League Baseball down to sandlot play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:33 pm 

Matthew Grieco wrote:
The Hall of Fame Museum has always had exhibits about the game itself, from Major League Baseball down to sandlot play.

I wasn't aware of that. Yes, my point was basically, "Little League in the Hall of Fame??" It seems I posted in haste, and I thank you for the lesson, Matthew.

I'd be interested to know if there are other Little Leaguers in the Hall. (I assume Joey Jay is recognized as the first LLer to play Major League ball.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:06 pm 

She's not "in the Hall," but it's understandable that people get confused about this.

Only the 260 people elected as members are "in the Hall." There are exhibits, both temporary and permanent, about countless other people. There's a display about the Abbot and Costello "Who's On First?" routine, for example, but they aren't "in the Hall." Their entry in the Hall of Fame FAQ serves as an example about how many people get confused about what it means to be in the Hall.

There are also players whose effects are in the Hall simply because they were involved in memorable moments. Aaron Boone is never going in the Hall, but they probably have the bat he used to hit the home run that ended the 2003 ALCS.

Think of it this way: The full name of the institution in Cooperstown, N.Y., is the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. It's referred to as "the Hall of Fame" by everyone as shorthand, but once you realize that the Hall of Fame and the Museum are two separate components of one institution, it all makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:49 am 

Forty years as a baseball fan, and I'm still learning. Thanks, Matthew.

I knew the Hall had exhibits — bats, gloves, uniforms and the like — but I had no idea the Hall and museum were separate entities. For example, I knew of the Abbott and Costello exhibit, but I assumed they were indeed "in the Hall" for it.

Aside, being a curator/historian for the Hall would be a dream job.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]