Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: By the numbers
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:24 pm 

One through nine are pitchers' loneliest numbers

To players, club executives and hard-core fans, the sight of a one-digit pitcher is jarring.

In 41 seasons, I haven't noticed that pitchers rarely wear single-digit numbers. I have, however, noticed modern players wearing their pants cuffs at their ankles, and that's more "jarring" to me than a uniform number — almost as jarring as the silliness of this story.

Post subject: Re: By the numbers
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:47 am 

Before a spring training game Ted Williams approached an umpire and asked him where he thought the player's knees were.

Williams stood perfectly straight. The ump tapped a spot 6 inches below a knee.

Teddy Ballgame retired before I ever swung a bat. Still, thinking of that story, I made sure to roll my uniform's legs up to near my knees. I was a high ball hitter and wanted to take almost any pitch lower than mid-thigh. I wanted a small strike zone.

Players with their pant legs nearly touching their shoes look as if they should be figure skating. But i'm an old fart who was nearly thrown off an all-star team for having long hair, so what do i know about fashion?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:42 am 

It is rather jarring at that to see a pitcher wearing a single-digit number. Good piece! Thanks for posting it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:07 am 

Is this the Post-Gazette playing fill-in-the-blank?

Atlee Hammaker wore No. 7 with the Giants in 1985 after giving his No.-- to a returning veteran, Vida Blue.

Reminds me of Rick Telander at the Chicago Sun-Times, who was said to have filed columns littered with xx's, where copy editors were expected to plug in facts and figures.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]