Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Veto power
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:12 am 

In spring training, Giambi looked sturdy and Martinez sometimes looked finished. Now, it is the other way around. Giambi, for the moment, is a bench player batting .195. Before the game, Torre, General Manager Brian Cashman and Giambi discussed the idea of sending Giambi to the minors, which he rejected. -- NYT

*Does Giambi really have veto power in this situation? If so, does it strike you as odd that a .195 hitter can refuse to go to the minors even if the manager thinks that is best for the hitter and the team?*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Veto power
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:56 am 

A player could have a clause in his contract giving him veto power over such a demotion.

I don't know about Giambi's contract. My guess would be that he just doesn't want to go. He's not the first to balk.

Willie Mays got sent down early during his rookie year. He hit about .500 with power for a month, then came back and tore up the National League. Just a matter of getting his confidence back. He's been candid about this, calling it a good move for which he was thankful.

Veterans in particular don't like going down to the minors unless it's publicized as a rehab assignment after an injury.

Torre and Cashman probably would love to motivate the team by showing who's boss. Do the Yankees have anyone good to bring up? They got rid of Nick Johnson--their star first baseman of the future. Can Sierra play well enough there when Tino slumps or needs to rest this summer?

Of course, there's always The Boss to contend with. Will be interesting to see who prevails--George, Torre/Cashman, or Giambi/agent.

Maybe Steinbrenner will throw money at Mark McGwire during the All-Star break. Or have A-Rod play first. Or Randy Johnson.

Or maybe Giambi will get his act together--I wouldn't give up on him yet. If I were a Yankee fan I'd wouldn't be happy with him, though. He owes the team.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:01 pm 

All players with a certain amount of service time in the majors (I think 5 years) have to give consent before being sent to the minors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:14 pm 

Kyle is correct. As part of the CBA, a 5-year veteran cannot be optioned to the minors without his consent.

However, Giambi CAN be sent to the minors outright, even without his consent, if he clears waivers first. Given that no team is likely to claim Giambi's seven-year, gajillion-dollar contract, he would certainly clear waivers if the Yankees were to choose this method (which, in my humble opinion, they should).

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:43 pm 

KyleJRM wrote:
All players with a certain amount of service time in the majors (I think 5 years) have to give consent before being sent to the minors.

Thanks. I forgot that.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]