Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: National obsession
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:48 pm 

I know we're not supposed to write about ourselves or our children, but is it OK to write about our favorite baseball team http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/opinion/29brooks.html?hp?

The column got me wondering how people in D.C. area are responding to the Nationals? Anybody here a fan yet?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: National obsession
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:08 pm 

ADKbrown wrote:
The column got me wondering how people in D.C. area are responding to the Nationals? Anybody here a fan yet?

Jerry Seinfeld (i think) has pointed out that fans cheer for clothes (uniforms). Players come and go. Entire teams come and go. Fans still cheer--for the most part.

A friend who grew up in Washington cheering for the Senators but switched to the Orioles got tickets to a game at RFK Stadium against the Blue Jays. We'll take the train from Baltimore. Just curious.

Will be interesting to see if Washingtonians take to the Nationals with even a tenth of the fervor they show the Redskins. Also will be interesting to see the effect on the Orioles. Can't help wondering what O's owner Peter Angelos, lawyer-mogul supreme, got out of this.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:41 pm 

Tickets for Opening Day are not to be had unless one wants to pay scandalous amounts. I'd say that's a pretty good indicator.

Angelos is still making trouble. Two weeks to go and we still have no TV deal, unless I've missed something today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:05 pm 

It doesn't help that te roster is made up largely of crappy players, assembled by the worst GM in baseball (Jim Bowden).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:04 pm 

Yep, Wayne, that was Seinfeld. Classic. I think he used the term "laundry" instead of "clothes." He's absolutely right when you think about it.

Wabber, you are obviously drinking a different flavor of Kool-Aid than Tom Boswell in the Washington Post, who has been waxing rhapsodic about the return of baseball to the capital and about the Nationals' chances as a wild card.

I think the Mets have a much better chance at the wild card, especially if they manage to land Ugueth Urbina, but I'm an American League fan. What do I know?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:44 am 

Speaking of popularity and attire ...

From a story running today (about the major league exhibitions in town this weekend), there's this quote from a local retailer discussing which teams' hats are popular:

"I will tell you exactly why we're selling Washington Nationals stuff. The W looks like an old-school gang sign. It's West Side. The W looks like the West Side sign, like you see in old-school Tupac (Shakur) videos. Most people who buy the Nationals stuff don't even know it's a baseball team."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:56 pm 

God, I haven't read the Post regularly since college -- is Boswell still writing?

I would have thought by now someone would have taken pity on suffering sports fans and thrown TB into a cage match with Mike Lupica, forcing the survivor to emigrate to Tasmania. (And my money would have been on Lupica, because I believe he'd fight dirty.)

And jjmoney62, that's fascinating about the popularity of the new team's garb. Now that's consumer reporting.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]