Testy Copy Editors

Our new website is up and running at testycopyeditors.org. This board will be maintained as an archive. Please visit the new site and register. Direct questions to the proprietor, blanp@testycopyeditors.org
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Slammin' Sammy Soo-ser
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:08 pm 

To the O's.

That's nice.

Can he pitch?

No?

Quel dommage.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Slammin' Sammy Soo-ser
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:03 am 

This would help the Baltimore Sun in two ways:

It gets him off the Tribune payroll.

It gives the sportwriters something to write about in a town where interest in the O's has faded.

The team settled for mediocrity while waiting for Cal Ripken to retire and Albert Belle's contract to run out. Fans want a star free agent (the owner is a billionaire). The prospect of a team in Washington threatens to reduce attendance, which has been dropping. Even if Sosa is slowing (or has steroid testing to respect), he should be able to hit a lot of home runs at Camden Yards and drive in a lot of runs; not having to play as many day games as in Chicago could help his endurance.

But, yes, starting pitching is the team's weakness and Sidney Ponson, their "ace," has physical and legal problems.

Reports have my favorite Oriole--Jerry Hairston--going to the Cubs in the trade. He's talented but prone to injury. He wants to play second base, but management likes Brian Roberts there. Wrigley could tempt Hairston to return to his other obstacle to stardom--the urge to overswing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:30 am 

Thanks for the local perspective, Wayne.

Following the Orioles from afar (as much as I do any A.L. team), I am baffled and saddened at the way Angelos has run the franchise into the ground. Even before the Nationals came onto the horizon, Angelos reportedly put his baseball-illiterate sons in charge of the team and refused to listen to any advisers who were baseball-savvy. In fact, aren't his sons still nominally in charge? And was it they or he who made the decision to go with the two-headed GM team of Flanagan and Beattie?

You're right that Sosa should hit a lot of homers and drive in a lot of runs at Camden if he stays healthy. That whole lineup has the capability of hitting a lot of homers and driving in a lot of runs. But the pitchers will probably give up more than the hitters drive in most nights.

Hairston's your favorite, eh? I'm neutral on him, but apparently he is hated throughout the league because of his overly aggressive, apparently sometimes outright mean, play. There have been stories in the *Times* and the *Daily News* in New York over the past couple of years that have mentioned him as being among the few players who are truly despised by most teams. I can't recall any particular play that would have reinforced that impression, and I can't say I've ever seen him start a brawl or precipitate a brawl. Has the Baltimore press ever commented on his ability to inspire hatred in his opponents?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:51 am 

I stumbled across this website yesterday. It contains an extensive litany of allegations against Peter Angelos, itemizing his crimes against Baltimore fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:07 am 

Plenty of people blame Angelos' sons for the team's years of mediocrity. Difficult to imagine that he wouldn't be making the biggest decisions, such as choosing GMs and the top free agents, but I could be wrong.

Cubs-owning Tribune will pay a chunk of Sosa's salary, which is worth mentioning even while criticizing Angelos.

Not aware of the dislike of Hairston around the league. Most of the talk about him in Baltimore last year had to do with whether he should be the second baseman. He ended up playing surprisingly well in centerfield until he ran into a wall and injured himself. He spends a lot of time on the DL.

The criticism of Angelos found on Matt's link is typical of what's heard around Baltimore.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]